Scouting Camera Pictures

buckhunter21

RE: Scouting Camera Pictures

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:40 pm

ivoryplayer...welcome to the forum, and great pics!  hope to see more postings from you.  this is a great site with great people!
QDM!

ivoryplayer

Postby ivoryplayer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks buckhunter21. I went to Gander Mountain today and bought a mineral lick to hopefully bring in the does and fawns. The bucks eat the apples and leaves from a few apple trees in the corner of our lot. All sexes and years usually walk through the open field from there to the ponds we have 150 ft. away. Gonna set up a Moultrie cam over there and see what happens. I'll post when I get some more.
Avid photographer that loves nature!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm

ivoryplayer,welcome! That's very cool that you would post pics even though you don't hunt. Thanks for sharing. We love pictures!
Stick around and check out the other forums. You might find something that peaks your interest.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanx 4 share'n Ivoryplayer.

Hey kev, what kind of mineral lick are you use'n ? I saw water in the puddle, did you dig it? How did you make-n-maintain the site?

How do the rest of you guys prep and maintain your mineral lick sites? Do you think its too close to fall to set a mineral lick site up?

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey kev, what kind of mineral lick are you use'n ?

[font="Tahoma"]We make our own mineral mix. We save a ton of money by doing it this way.

Here is the recipe -

2 - 50 lbs. bags - ADE Mineral - $40 ($20 ea.)
1 - 50 lbs. bag Dicalcium Phosphate - $24
1 - 50 lbs. bag of Mixing Salt - $6

(1 - 50 lbs. bag of Dried Molasses - $15)

Total cost - $85 for 200 lbs of minerals & 50 lbs of dried molasses (Enough for 4 or more licks)[/font]

I saw water in the puddle, did you dig it?

[font="Tahoma"]No, the deer dug it out by eating all of the minerals mixed with the dirt. (See photos below...)[/font]

How did you make-n-maintain the site?

[font="Tahoma"]We just pour each of the minerals out on the ground and then run a small Mantis tiller over them until it is all good and mixed with the dirt. Then level it off and top with a little of the dried molasses. (We found that the deer prefer to lick the dirt and the minerals together, rather than just the minerals.) We refresh them once in the early springtime and once in the late summertime.[/font]

Do you think its too close to fall to set a mineral lick site up?

[font="Tahoma"]I wouldn't think it would hurt, but the licks get the most usage spring through early fall. So you might not see the results you are hoping for if you made one right now.

If you are going to start some licks now here are a couple of tips - I think the important things we did is make sure that the licks were along known deer travel routes and, if possible, close to a water source. That way they find them easier and they can drink after licking all the salt. I would also suggest you put out 3-5 different licks and see which one or two they are using a lot. Then just freshen up those ones.

Try this link for a ton of info on mineral licks - Any mineral plans?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

[hr]
Here is a photo of our new lick site the day we "freshened" it up. [/font]

�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:57 pm

[font="Tahoma"]And here is a photo of our new lick 3 months later...[/font]

�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:58 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Here is a close up of the holes they dug. [/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:18 pm

[font="Tahoma"]OK... Let's get this thread back on the original topic...

Here are some more photos from one of my trail cameras. (I pulled the SD card tonight!)

This is that same buck we've been watching hit the lick since we put the cameras out in June. (His name from last year is Blondie, since his hair looks blond.)[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:26 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Another shot of him...[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:41 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Here is our nice young ten pointer, "Diez"...[/font]

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio