Heath, OH Attempts To Launch Deer Management Plan

FFKEVIN

Heath, OH Attempts To Launch Deer Management Plan

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon May 04, 2009 3:48 pm

[size=100][font="Tahoma"]HEATH, Ohio-City leaders in a Central Ohio city say a certain type of animal is posing a threat to people's safety.

They say car crashes are on the rise, totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage, NBC 4‘s Lauren Diedrich reported.

"I've never seen an accident, but we've seen a lot of brake lights," said Jack Jago, an area worker.

Jago is working to rehab a home on Licking View Drive in Heath.

He and his crew have been working in the area for weeks, but they aren't the only ones on the property.

"In the evening, we see as many as 25 deer at a time here in the back yard," Jago said.

According to city leaders, that number is only a fraction of the actual deer population in city limits.

"The deer population has exploded when you're (seeing) five, ten times more per acre than what (The Ohio Department of Natural Resources) say is acceptable, it's a safety issue," said Heath Mayor Richard Waugh.

Waugh said that ODNR estimates there are 1,000 deer in Heath's 10.5 square miles.

Waugh said there have been 170 car vs. deer crashes in the last three years, totaling nearly $500,000-not to mention property damage.

"I don't think I'd want to plant a garden here. I don't think that would be possible," Jago said.

That's why Heath city leaders are proposing an ordinance allowing bow-hunting within city limits during next fall's bow season.

Waugh said hunters would have to follow all ODNR guidelines.

A public meeting will be held at 7 p.m. on May 11 at the city's municipal offices.[/font]
[/size]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Return to Ohio