disabled hunting

rmestep

disabled hunting

Postby rmestep » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 am

I am disabled and was wondering if there were others. I have a few questions that mat be answered by others also. I must hunt from a quad and have been spotted or smelled almost every time. Any body have an idea to cover the gas smell or conceal the quad form? It is hunter green already. I have watched them come across the field to almost range and turn tail and run. I even had a friend drop me and leave with it and the same thing happens. I have also scoured the net looking for any suggestions. Thanks for responding and reading. 

coach

RE: disabled hunting

Postby coach » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 am

rmestep,
Its awesome to have you on this Forum.
Trying to hunt from a quad could be very difficult, not impossible, but difficult.
Its all about noise and smell, like you know. Depending on where you hunt.  It would be easier if someone hunted fields.  If your hunting bush....could be more tricky.

This is new to me.  Do you have a wheelchair that someone can push for maybe 100-200 yards.
Maybe someone to drive you to a location....bring the quad back further.

How are you doing now.  What type of terrain do you hunt.?

Coach me on this !
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

rmestep

Postby rmestep » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 am

Thanks for reading. The times I did get a shot was in Tenn. about 250 yards muzzleloading and did connect with it. I can not walk far about 30 yards but am limited with what I can carry. I must walk with aids. I have tried pop up blinds, tree stands, against trees, and so on. I have tried fields and woods. My beliefs is it is the gas smell or exhaust when you sit on the quad. I don't think our nose is good enough to smell but theirs is. I have asked a around and I come to realize when one becomes impaired, majority give up hunting. A good thing to try is imagine where you hunt, how you get there, what you take, etc. now do it with out walking , or try it using a walking device. For me a 30 yard walk is like a 4 hour walk for most.
I have never seen anything especially for disabled hunters and was hoping I could come across something or someone that had a good idea. Since my accident in 2001 I have gone every year and only hit 1 but never found him. If you every see a person such as me in the field, think of the determination it took to get there. I say anymore it is not about meat, it is just being able to get into the field and see a deer!  The hunting will happen when it will, just not today.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:23 pm

are you in the wide open or behind some kind of cover, blow down, ground blind etc...

last year i had a mature buck walk 10 feet from my atv..to bad i wsn't on it..it was parked 200 + yards away from my stand but i could see it and the deer walked around it...

not sure vehicles scare deer that much...watch for wind direction..and try to hunt behind some kind of cover, a fence , fallen tree, etc..might help...

John1961

Postby John1961 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 am

Welcome to the forum rmestep. I have there was an article a while back about taking disabled vets hunting. It was either in D&DH or American Hunter. Any way if anyone else remembers reading this I'm sure they can tell you where it is. There are outfitters who take hunters like you self hunting and have all the equiptment they need. Maby you coule e-mail a few and get your questions answered. Then let us know what you learned so some of us can better understand what you go thru. Its great you keep going. You have the Spirit of the wild for sure. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

coach

Postby coach » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:24 pm

rmestep,
you have more dedication and determination than me on a sunny day.
Don't you ever .....ever....stop trying or stop hunting.
You are and idol to a lot of us.

I complain sometimes because its raining...or its windy, snowing, too cold, too warm.
We sometimes, without meaning no harm to anyone, take for granted what we have.

There was a thread previously about ..." What celebrity would you hunt with "
I would hunt with you.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Return to Ohio