Buckeye state bragging board

deerhunter713

RE: Buckeye state bragging board

Postby deerhunter713 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:41 am

[align=left]The second posting of this post has a pic from my trail cam.  He came within 5 yards of my treestand on Tuesday evening...now he is going to find a place on my wall. [/align][left] 

[/left][align=center][font=tahoma]"Photo resized by FFKEVIN"[/font][/align]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:46 am

Great Job! I didn't notice all the character in the trail cam picture before, he is truly unique.  Congrats again on a nice buck, looking forward to reading the story.

Don't forget to post your pic in the photo corner.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:20 am

[font=calibri]Story behind the hunt.  I went out on Monday 9/29 in the afternoon, sure enough, this buck came through right on time but veered away from me while feeding and did not offer me a shot.  Based on the 5 trail cam pics I had of him and knowing which direction he was crossing, I put another treestand up mid-day on 9/30.  [/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]The wind was bad for the new stand all week, and I was busy over the weekend so I had to be patient.  I got out in the stand Monday, had a good wind for it.  He came up from the bottom of the hill and spent an hour feeding out of range of my stand, then he just disappeared into the shadows and was gone.   [/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]Tuesday 10/7 I got out there after work, was up in my treestand at 3:30.  I decided to give rattling and grunting a try, which may or may not have worked.  Around 6 PM I saw a buck coming up the hill and assumed it was the buck I was after…after waiting about 5 or 10 minutes for him to feed into my position, an 8 point worked it's way into about 7 yards of my stand…it was obviously not the deer I was after.  He was a little nervous looking, stopped and looked back down the hill.  I looked in the same direction and here comes the buck I've been after.  He was posturing all the way up the hill for this younger 8 pt, and he came right up to about 5 yards from the treestand and stopped.  He was quartering to me, which I was not real happy about, but I took the shot due to the obstructions he was about to step behind.  Aiming right at the top of the shoulder blade (20 feet up shooting nearly straight down) He ran down the hill and stopped, looked around, gave a couple fast tail twitches and disappeared.  Then I thought I heard him crash, but was not sure.  I got out of the treestand after about 10 minutes to find the crossbow bolt, and realized there was no blood to be seen and the bolt had some gut juice on it.  Not good.  I didn't want to push him if he was gut-shot, so I quietly walked out of the woods and evaluated the situation, choosing to leave and come back Wednesday morning under the assumption he was not hit well.  After a semi-sleepless night, I got out there at first light, climbed up to my treestand to get my bearings as to where I saw him last, and walked down the hill to find him dead at the last place I'd seen him twitching his tail.  He had run about 50 yards from the time I shot him to the place he fell.   I butchered him and since the temperatures were relatively cool the meat was fine.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font]
[font=calibri]So there ‘s my story.  It's the first year I've ever used a trail cam.  I got 5 different pictures of this buck starting at the end of August through late September consistently crossing between 5 PM and 6:45 PM.  He does have a lot of character in the antlers, not real wide but he is really tall and a tremendous amount of mass to it.  12 points total counting the 2 stickers on the G2's, and spiraled tips on both G2's.  [/font]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:32 am

Sounds like a great hunt, you made all the right moves from hanging another stand, waiting on the right wind, to waiting all night to go find your deer.  Alot of folks wouldn't have had the patience or the restraint. Congrats. 

How do you plan on having him mounted ? I'd like to get my next one in a full sneak pose.
Brad

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 am

He is getting a semi-upright, looking left, ears forward.  That is the postion he was in right about the time I shot him.

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Nice buck! Great job! At least someone is scoring, been out twice still haven't seen my first deer. Thought I had a good plan, guess not.

OHhonorguardsoldier

Postby OHhonorguardsoldier » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:47 pm

Here's a tip for broadheads!! dry them good with a hair dryer. then dip them in corn oil to coat them and shake off excess and place them on a paper towel to dry. I have used this before and never been busted from a deer smelling them.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Shot this doe this morning, around 9:30, I posted the story in the photo corner.

Brad

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:20 pm

nice doe Ohhunter congrats.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:54 pm

[font=tahoma]Nice buck - Deerhunter 713 - Thanks for the story.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Great doe - OHhunter[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Congrats to you both!!![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio