Where you going to focus your efforts early?

OHhunter

Where you going to focus your efforts early?

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:26 pm

I've spent the summer scouting a new property, and the more I'm out the more I can't decide where to hunt, I've found several nice funnels, and bedding areas but finding a main food source has been next to impossible, It seems like there is going to be a bumper crop of everything from acorns and apples to corn and beans. With all the food available where do you focus your efforts?

whitacl

RE: Where you going to focus your efforts early?

Postby whitacl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:29 pm

With all thoes food sources you are going to need to be mobile. Time your hunting location based on when you think thoes deer are hitting a particular food source. 

I know that when thoes white oaks start dropping the bucks wil be there.  When they start seeking out doesaround the end of October to the second week of Nov., I'll be in a funnel leading into or out of a bedding area. 

PLAY THE WIND!
Ohio BBH

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Have corn on one side of the river (shallow), beans and fruit orchard on the other, and bedding area on the river.  Scouting cam shows does hitting orchard almost daily.  Will be sitting on edge of orchard for early season while supply lasts, then on converging trails near river during rut as well as along the corn field.  Good hunting, Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:48 pm

I am going to go down and check the cameras this weekend, just to get one more last bit of info before I make my decision.  It's going to be a tough decision and it might be a 5 am on Saturday morning decision...
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm going to start out on trails to the standing corn. However if its this warm I may move to creek bottom, where there's a couple red oaks. Little tricky though cause any wind out of the west is no good. All i know is I'm ready to hunt!!

Return to Ohio