How's the rut going?

gonehun10

Re: How's the rut going?

Postby gonehun10 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:44 am

Crappiest rut I've seen in at least three years. Was out for 5-1/2 hours Tues. morn and didn't see squat. This warm weather blows might try Thurs. morn.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 am

We hunt 160acres, One side of our property boarders a 200acre corn field that is f$#@& still standing.
All three of the bucks we have taken have been within 75 yards of this field. Where we believe 80% of
the does are. This has slowed our season up bigtime. I'm hopeing they can get it cut before the youth
hunt this weekend, but with the rain, I dout it will happen.
We have seen a lot of small bucks running around, But the big boys are all locked up.
Jake

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:25 am

I agree Gonehun10, the warm weather is having a big effect on the activity. Standing corn is not good, particularly when the guns start. It will drive them all into it once the shooting starts. Hopefully, they will get it cut soon.
Going our this afternoon...looks like the temps will be dropping this afternoon.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Went out last 4 hours of daylight. One doe showed up in last 15 minutes. Two dogs showed up at 3:30 and hung in the area until just before dark. Could have put an arrow in one of them, but he lives 200 yds away. Owner is pretty irresponsible and uncooperative. May try a BB pistol to discourage the dog next time. He is a mastiff, by the way.
No buck activity seen since Monday.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I think the rut has been going good. I've seen plenty of deer this year. I've seen some bucks & does moving in the evening. I taught my 80 yr. old neighbor to use a crossbow last year and he is now able to go hunting again. I set him up in some brush by a field last week and he got his first Ohio deer. A 7 pnt. 2yr old buck. To see the smile on his face was thanks enough. It gave me a warm spot in my heart that I can't express. It was just as good as getting a deer myself. He used the new phone check-in, piece of cake.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:22 pm

is it me, or is this site posting the wrong times on the postings. I'm posting this on Wed. 11/16 8:19 p.m. :?: :?: :o :o

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Check your settings on your user control panel, you may have the wrong time zone selected.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks Kellory, you were right. :oops: :oops:

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Deer movement went down to zero after gun season on public property(which is to be expected) so I got out of the trees and got on the ground. I snuck into a known bedding area and had the biggest buck I've ever laid eyes on stand up about 45 yards away and stare me down and of course his vitals were covered up by trees and all I could see was his neck and rack and I was bowhunting. He trotted away after he decided I just wasn't supposed to be there and I plan on getting in there for second gun season this weekend and shooting him in his bed!Anyone ever try that tactic?Let me know how it turned out and I'll do the same.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Previous

Return to Ohio