How's the rut going?

Ohio farms

Re: How's the rut going?

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Sounds like a rough hunt. Don't care for swaying trees much either. Babysitting my grandson Mon/Tues. Will get out Wed am. Let you know how it goes. Good luck.
Had a left total knee replacement in 07. Should have done it long before it did. Took a full year, but it feels great now. Hope your knee feels better.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

gonehun10

Postby gonehun10 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 am

Was out all weekend and last night. Saw a lot of does but still nothing chasing. Just on thier normal feeding patterns.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Hunted this morning till 10am. Small 8 pt with a busted left main beam tip came to some doe estrus that I had hung. Grunted in a 10 inch spike an hour later. Both had their noses to the ground. The small bucks at least seem to be searching. Try again Friday.

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Just got done hunting on Nov.2nd and had a decent 8point come right to my stand from behind me. By the time I got turned around and got my bow he was 3 steps away from me with no shot opp and he spooked and trotted away to about 25 yards in thick stuff and walked out of my life forever! Oh well he was kind of small anyway and he didn't seem to be rutting much like his neck wasn't swollen and tarsal glands not very dark yet. I have other people saying its on and others not having much more luck than me so I don't know whats going on.I was going to take next week off but the weather model is calling for rain and high temps all week.However's doing raindances can stop already Ohio is wet enough!
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Birdddog

Postby Birdddog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:09 pm

I have passed on 4 small bucks this week. With about 10 minutes left of shooting time, I had a doe come through that was being harassed by a small 8pt. He wasn't trailing her hard, just seemed more like a pest bothering her.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:45 am

Had a small 8 pt come into a doe estrus (urea) wick after a rattling sequence last night. Going out again Sunday evening.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I hunted in Licking County for a couple of days, but no luck. I did see 17 deer and 7 were bucks. Two shooters; one was 150-class.

I think it's beginning to turn on. The outfit I was hunting with took one yesterday and two today, so maybe the bucks are beginning to get foolish. Hope I can make it back.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Foolish bucks make me happy.

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Hey thanks for the advice on the knee OF but I'm sure I'll be fine the docs say it was just a bruise. I went hunting last Thursday night and was going to go back to where I saw that eight point but they were cutting the beans so I went to another spot I never hunted before and saw two does alone and they looked like does and not fawns although I have trouble telling them apart unless they're standing side by side. Where's the bucks! I'm taking this whole week off to hunt so hopefully I'll have something good to tell by weeks end.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Glad to hear that you didn't tear anything in your knee.
Hunted the last 3 hours of daylight tonight. Temps were in the upper 50's today... warmer than it's been. Saw no deer, but it was a nice sunset in the woods. Try again Wednesday am.
Good luck.

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio