Tips and tricks for using this forum
Treeman

USING DEER ATTRACTANTS IN THE HEAT: PROS AND CONS

Postby Treeman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:38 am

[b]  Is using deer  attractants in the heat okay to do?[/b]

retiredsailor

RE: USING DEER ATTRACTANTS IN THE HEAT: PROS AND CONS

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 am

Just my opinion, but I don't know that the temperature has any significant impact on an attractant, although it may weaken it a bit if high temps with some moisture or humidity in the air. The main issue is whether or not the pre-rut has started. Certainly no signs yet in the mid-Atlantic area.
Have seen a little bit more buck activity (moving around more and evidently checking out new territory), but everything I see is still in velvet. I would think closer toward the end of September, will start seeing velvet coming off. Can't imagine that attractants would be very productive until we get closer to the rutting season.
Of course, just my opinion - others probably have some scientific-based inputs.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I never gave using scents in the heat much thought. Don't know about the heat part, but dampness and humidity will keep a scent around longer. I don't start using scents until just prior to the rut, and on till the end of season. But thats just what I do.

retiredsailor: I have several bucks on trailcam here in Ill. that are hard antlered.

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:59 am

Nice looking deer, and I'm surprised to see that they have no sign of velvet. I notice your pictures were captured the end of August. I just saw of little 4 point earlier this morning, still in total velvet. There are probably some around here (Northern Virginia mountains) that have shed or are shedding, but I just haven't seen one yet. Thanks for the pictures.

Return to Forum rules and help