human pee

tedo123

human pee

Postby tedo123 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 am

a friend told me he urinates out of his deer stand and it doesn't affect deer and it's biologically proven that there is no difference in deer urine and human urine.

69Viking

RE: human pee

Postby 69Viking » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 am

I don't know about biological proven there's no difference but in my experience I've found human urine to have no ill effects on deer activity. In fact I've witnessed deer walk right up to where I have urinated and they check it out and move on without being alarmed at all. Others will argue this with you but in my experience I purposely did it to test my theory and so far it hasn't ever spooked a deer. To the contrary, they seem to move towards to check it out and then carry on about their way. In 5 years of limited time in the woods hunting I've shot 6 deer so by no means have I been skunked because of it!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 am

ORIGINAL: tedo123

a friend told me he urinates out of his deer stand and it doesn't affect deer and it's biologically proven that there is no difference in deer urine and human urine.

I did an experiment a few weeks ago. I urinated into a scrape that was being regularly used, and kept an eye on it for a couple of weeks. Bucks returned to the scrape and carried on scraping activity there. Next year I'll do it again, and put a trail camera there. I don't think the smell of urine is negative to animals, and it sometimes is positive if they're looking for companionship (herd instinct) or opportunities to breed (reproductive instinct).

I can't say there is no biological difference between deer pee and human pee, and I don't know how that could be proven outside a lab. But I can say I believe your friend when he says it doesn't affect deer in a negative way.

I can also say, "Welcome to the D&DH forums, Todd!" I hope this is only your first of many good posts.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

tedo123

Postby tedo123 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks for the responses!  The reason I posted this was that I had peed in a scrape in the past and the deer seemed to hit it more often after that.  Then the other day I peed out of my tree stand and a spike coming down over a hill and hit that spot, turned and bolted back over the hill.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:04 pm

ORIGINAL: tedo123

Thanks for the responses!  The reason I posted this was that I had peed in a scrape in the past and the deer seemed to hit it more often after that.  Then the other day I peed out of my tree stand and a spike coming down over a hill and hit that spot, turned and bolted back over the hill.

Some people think peeing in a dirt scrape is different from peeing in leaves. I don't know -- could be a factor. Another thought, given that the deer was a spike, maybe anybody's pee would have scared him.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I pee from a stand when I have to go and have also urinated in scrapes . A couple years ago I had a button buck walk up to the base of my ladder stand and I had pee'd there earlier . He looked up at me and wandered off after I took his pic with the Bino-Cam . He was too close and the pic is out of focus . After peeing in scrapes , I have seen aggressive activity .

Semper Fi !

Return to Pennsylvania