Shooting Without Your Peep

DaveYak

Shooting Without Your Peep

Postby DaveYak » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:19 am

[font="times new roman"]I don't know how many of you bow hunters out there shoot using a peep sight on your string but I thought the lesson I learned this weekend would be a good to share with everyone out here. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]A fellow bow hunter I know, who has bow hunted longer than I have been alive, told me I should practice shooting without using my peep sight, because you never know what could happen in the field.  I though "yeah right, when will I ever be without my peep sight, how would I lose something like that".  Well, it happen to me this weekend and I had wished I practiced without my peep a few time before I went out!  I took a shot at a doe, who came from the worst possible place, of course and ended up hitting my EZ Hanger with the string when I released.  Luckily my strings didn't snap or fray but my arrow broke and peep sight went flying.  I am hunting 1.5 hours away from my house and wasn't about to not hunt in the afternoon, I only have one day a week to hunt, I'm not giving up that easy!  I always bring my target with me, so I took a bunch of shots without using my peep, it wasn't easy but I was confident up to 30 yards so I went back out in the afternoon.  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Therefore my lessons learned were first, screw your EZ Hanger high enough above you that it will never get in the way, or don't use one at all. Secondly, before the season start practice shooting your bow without a peep, just to be sure you are able to continue hunting if something were to happen and you lost your peep sight.  Third, bring your target in the truck with you and your sight adjustment tools, you never know when you will have to sight your bow in again out in the field. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Good luck to everyone this year!  Hunt hard and stay safe! [/font]
[font="times new roman"]DaveYak[/font]

Bowtechian

RE: Shooting Without Your Peep

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate turn of events. It sounds like you don't tie your peep into the string once you get it set where you want it. I always mark the string so I know where it should be, & tie it in so it doesn't have a chance to fly out. The peep is a huge part of my accuracy, so I make sure it's where I need it, when I need it.

I just hope to need it soon. It's been a tough year so far.
Dave M.

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 am

My peep is and was tied in on top and bottom.  I have no idea how it could have come out, but it sure did.  I will mark the string from now on though, thanks for the tip!

DaveYak

teej79

Postby teej79 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Use a kisser button, solves your problem, then just focus on your sights and line up the string with the sight dots and it's practically looking through a peep, except the haze of the string out of focus.  I have both on my bow and as soon as my lip hits the kisser button i'm already looking through the peep.  so you could actually lose one or the other and still be okay off.  If you lose both, ykes.

Return to Pennsylvania