CWD Detected in free ranging deer

mhouck06

CWD Detected in free ranging deer

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 am

Wanted to hear you guys weigh in on this.. This is a first for PA and the two counties are right near the county I reside in.
2 free ranging deer detected in blair county and 1 in bedford.

Definitely bummed and it seems like the PGC is figuring out its best approach. They had previously found captive deer with CWD, but this is the first time they have found it in free ranging samples.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... 813&mode=2

ishman

Re: CWD Detected in free ranging deer

Postby ishman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 pm

We've known this was coming. Its has been all around us for years so we knew it had to be here. Its almost seeming like its just something we are going to have to live with. Theres no way to eradicate it. I would like to see more deer tested though. Maybe statewide manditory check stations. I have always thought they need them anyways. I just hope its not too far spread and we dont end up with a deal like wisconson did.
Eric

mhouck06

Re: CWD Detected in free ranging deer

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I agree... I would like the check stations too.

I am interested to see what the states approach is.. On the web page they seem to have a pretty good resonse program in place.. Im wondering if they will do it state wide or just in certain WMU's or counties.

The ban of urine based lures is something I did not expect, but makes sense. That will change some of my tactics in the fall.

Return to Pennsylvania