2013 Deer Season Has Started

DaveYak

2013 Deer Season Has Started

Postby DaveYak » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm

The 2013 bow season has started, opening day was really slow in the northeast due to really warm weather but a cold front has moved in and early season deer movement has increased ten fold! Anyone out there have luck opening day?
DaveYak,
Land of the free,
Home of the brave,
Faith in God that'll never waive!
Do It To It Outdoors @ Facebook

xmatax

Re: 2013 Deer Season Has Started

Postby xmatax » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 pm

First real sit today...first day someone cut the pull rope on my stand into pieces and I didn't get in it.

To the meat...southeast wind...very slight...mid to upper 50s. I had a spike and a 4 point banging horns and then were chased out by a larger buck. Couldnt really tell what it was because they were in dense cover but it was awesome to watch the two small scrappers snorting and wheezing at one another while pounding their hoofs and caught in a stare down...that is until the larger buck chased them off again.

Needless to say, pretty good sit and this was all an hour before dark! Action seems to be pretty good early so far.

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:18 am

Got on the board this past Friday with a smaller doe. The thing appeared to either be a runt or a yearling from the previous year. However, it was a lone deer which made it a little more confusing because a deer that young shouldn't have been alone yet. Anyways, at least I'll have a little meat in the freezer!

I thought I put a bad shot on it because the arrow appeared to hit a limb and throw the shot a little high. I immediately thought I put a spine shot on it and was really mad. Consequently I put a 2nd arrow in the animal to try to speed up the expiration process and put myself at ease. When field dressing the deer I did find I missed the spine and actually did put a decent shot on the deer through the lung so it did give me some solace in the whole grand scheme of things. Looks like a little warmer week coming up with temps falling towards the end of the week so we'll see what happens!

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 am

That's awesome that you got some meat in the freezer already! I have only been able to get out 2 afternoon's and they were just too warn, not much deer activity. Now that the weather has turned in the right direction the deer movement should really pick up. I hope to get out a day this week while its nice and cool and hopefully catch one of these bucks starting to cruise the area for does. It's a couple weeks early but this cold snap might just trigger some activity. Good luck to all and hopefully some bruisers will fall this week to a few good PA bow hunters!!!
DaveYak,
Land of the free,
Home of the brave,
Faith in God that'll never waive!
Do It To It Outdoors @ Facebook

Return to Pennsylvania