PA Rut Activity

BAPAKuss

PA Rut Activity

Postby BAPAKuss » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 am

I thought it would be nice to start a thread detailing what other hunters in PA are seeing as far as rut activity goes. Maybe would help others who have limited time in the woods decide when they would get out. Plus, it's just plain old fun to talk about the uptick in activity as it leads us into the second half of the season.

My observations to date: I have somewhere around 35 hours on stand so far this year. Early season was incredibly warm and deer activity was spotty at best. I still made it out and sat through the heat, and seeing a few doe made it worth while. Up until the middle of last week, I was seeing very little sign (rubs, scrapes, etc...) I have 8 cameras out and have had them out for a couple months now. Deer activity was peaking in early september and has greatly reduced since them. Late last week, i finally got to see some horns. 8pt moved through without ever giving me a shot opportunity. Attempted to grunt him back with nothing more than a turn of the head from him. I proceeded to watch him go and make 2 new scrapes. Since then, this area has exploded with scrapes. a night of spotting this past sunday revealed another 8 point in the area. Another area revealed two bucks fighting. This was definitely more than a sparring match, but by no means were they going at each other to kill. This cold front that came through late last week has definitely prompted the deer to move. The "Hunter's" moon is also providing plenty of light for the deer to be moving at night. Yesterday, for whatever reason, we saw temperature rise to about 67 degrees, which coupled with the full moon, seem to keep the deer at bay until well after sunset. Today brings in another cold front which is suppose to usher in some really nice cool weather later this week. While the rut is not yet upon us, i do believe the bucks are waking from their food enduced slumbers and starting to cruise. It will only get better as long as the weather holds.

I will try to keep you posted on any sign/activity I continue to see from the field. I look forward to hearing what you all are seeing too. Best of luck and happy hunting.

DaveYak

Re: PA Rut Activity

Postby DaveYak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 am

I hunted yesterday, 22 Oct for most of the day in NEPA, Susquehanna County. Saw 40 deer total, the deer were really on the move but as for rut activity there was nothing. Actually only saw 2 bucks with antlers and they were interested in eating apples more than does. I am going to guess that along with this cold front the seek and chase phase of the rut will kick off this weekend or early next week. This saturday I bet we will hear all kinds of reports of young bucks chasing does all of the state but the big bucks wont start until the first week of November. As of yesterday though the deer in my area are all about feeding before the rut and winter kicks into high gear.
DaveYak,
Land of the free,
Home of the brave,
Faith in God that'll never waive!
Do It To It Outdoors @ Facebook

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I had some nice rubs show up in late Sept. Once the season started they seemed to dry up pretty quick. Camera activity slowed some through early oct. I didnt see many deer the first week of season. Shot a doe the Monday of the 2nd week. Have seen only a couple bucks so far and they have been feeding. Some of my spots, the scrape activity has picked up. I started making mock scrapes last week and that seemed to get things moving a little bit. The younger bucks may start picking up some, but I think we are still have a little ways to go until things start getting exciting. I am hoping I can get out in this rain to check my cameras, some havent been checked since the first week of season. I only have the rest of this week and next week to get things done in PA. Hopefully I can make it happen.

Good luck to the rest of you!

BAPAKuss

Postby BAPAKuss » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Good info guys. Very similar to the stuff I am seeing. I agree with you both, this weekend and into next week we may start seeing the younger bucks moving around more as they are being pushed by the more mature bucks and the hormones running through them. My brother saw a buck chasing a doe in a field near his house later last night and two others fighting in that field. Again, they are slowly but surely ramping up...at least sitings (albeit at night) are starting to pick up. Mhouck, i hope you can cash in before your season is over...too bad you didn't have one more week up here!

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:54 am

Still slow going for me.. Heading out to Ohio Wednesday or Thursday. Hoping to get it done here soon, or finish the job quick in ohio and head back here.. either way, I have a lot of work to do!
Hows everyone else been doing?

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 am

The rut is on in the northeast corner of the state!!! I went out Monday and saw 4 mature shooter bucks chasing does and several young bucks chasing all throughout the day. If I had more vacation time I would be out there every day of the week! If you have the time this is the week to spend camped in the woods where you know there are does. I would try the doe estrus scents and maybe even a decoy, this might be the best time for them. Good luck guys and stay safe out there!
DaveYak,
Land of the free,
Home of the brave,
Faith in God that'll never waive!
Do It To It Outdoors @ Facebook

Return to Pennsylvania