PA

Bowtechian

RE: PA

Postby Bowtechian » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 pm

What kind of additional restrictions are you thinking about? I'm sure you realize how hard it was to ask people to count to 3 or 4 points before shooting a buck. I can see private land owners raising the restrictive bar on their own property, but asking most hunters to buy into more restrictions may be a bit much.
Dave M.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:24 pm

I would like to see a regulation on spread. I think at least equal to the tips of the ears, I know I'll catch flak from some on this, but in the pre-AR days, it was a legal to take a buck if the antlers were visible above the ears.  In some areas you had to look real close because that was all that was available, and if we were able to pay attention to that "rule of thumb" then, I would like to think it could be accomplished now.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Making too many antler restrictions will not always help the deer herd. I've seen deer in my area that should be taken out of the gene pool, but because they were protected, I had to let them walk. I think there are too many variables involved in human size estimations. One persons wide as the ears guess could be inches off. I'd hate to shoot a ten point and have it considered a mistaken kill, pay a fine, and have the P.G.C. take the rack for their wall of shame.
Dave M.

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:41 am

I've had a few that I've had to let pass, & didn't get one because by the time I realized it was legal it was behind cover. That being said I still think the AR's great & it's time I go fill my last doe tag.[:)]

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm

I agree with you that it would be hard and there would be alot of deer left in the woods.  I doubt it would ever happen state wide, but in the area I hunt out of our rule is "no baskets" except for the juniors and seniors.  Some of the guys make their kids stick by 4 on one side rule from day 1.  We try and stick by the spread equal to the ears, and the other camps in the area do the same.  We have stuck by this for the last 4 seasons and we have started to see the results.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 pm

The key is to have others in your area that have the same principals. I watched a basket eight walk by my stand while bowhunting thinking I'd like to see that buck in a year or two. I got to see it in the back of a truck about an hour after it passed me.[:@] My friend said he thought it was bigger. I think alot of people think, "if I don't shoot it someone else will." Maybe, maybe not.
Dave M.

KRAKA

Postby KRAKA » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 am

I hunt Western PA...mostly in and around Allegheny County. A buddy of a buddy of mine has some private land which I was hunting on in the second week of Buck season and I got my first shot at a really big 8 or 10 point. I couldn't get an accurate count because I was taking a leak when he came out of the wood line, causing me to zip up and take a few steps to get a clear shot. Well he heard me and then broke out into a full sprint directly away from me. I took a shot at him from about 80 yards, but I missed. I've only been hunting for two seasons and it was EXTREMELY exciting to see a buck that big and actually take a shot at him. Hopefully he made it through this season and I get a shot at him next year. I'm from Pittsburgh.....and I grew up as a city boy....I just started hunting at 41 years of age and I cannot believe I waited this long to take up hunting.
The good news was the day wasn't unproductive. Although I would have been happy if I hadn't seen another deer. Within 5 minutes of walking to the site where the buck was in order to check for a blood trail, another deer (thought it was a doe, but was a button buck) walked into my crosshairs and he went down. But unfortunately he had already been gut shot by another hunter...that's why he was walking...lol and not running. Since they had been tracking him for like 500 yards, I couldn't keep that deer. 
Then my buddy and I drove a hilltop for another buddy who got a really nice doe. Nice one shot drop from about 60 yards running.
Back to the buck though.....I cannot relay how exciting it was to see that big A$$ buck. I know most of you have seen and felt it before, but it was the first time I actually saw a buck that big in the wild. And definetly the first time while I had a rifle in my hands. It was great and I cannot wait until next year. I'm buying a bow and a flintlock-muzzleloader. Gonna learn how to operate both and gonna hunt those seasons also!
Thanks for listening to me and be safe....   

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:40 am

Good for you KRAKA, Stick around this site and you'll learn plenty. It doesen't matter when you started hunting your never too old to learn.  Ive been doing this for 27 years now and I'm still learning.  Again,welcome to the ranks.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 pm

First of all, i love all of these comments, We need to keep them going for PA! Anyways, I love the AR's, I think they are the best thing ever implemented in this state. granted you cant just go fling lead any more.. but the payoff is great, plus I think its sooo much safer to be in the woods now that people have to take a 2nd look before they shoot. Even if a buck is legal and you couldnt tell and you lose your shot opportunity. So what, must have been a pretty small buck. I know it still sucks, but in the big picture.. that buck could likely be a very nice deer by PA standards next year. I dunno, I just love seeing deer, dont have to go and drop one everytime im out, so for me.. the AR's are great.

On a side note.. do any of you guys shoot 3D's? I went to quite a few last year in my general area, but I'd like to venture out to some other ones. Im from Johnstown.. so if you guys know of any around you why not post em on here.. i know id be game to get out and shoot some new ones. If anyone wants. I have a list of 5 clubs in my area.. pretty much every weekend from may until the first day of achery.. there is a shoot within 20 minutes of my house. So if you guys are interested let me know and I'll post them on here!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:18 pm

just read an article not sure where but it said basicly that aprs are really no good for the herd as it eliminates the best genes from the herd cuz your only killing fully mature dominate males.Not my opinion just what i read,so dont jump all over me
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania