The season opened this weekend!!!any luck

dtrain56

The season opened this weekend!!!any luck

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:22 am

I went out this weekend(thru monday), It was a perfect weekend to see deer low winds and low temps, I saw many deer, more deer than i have seen in years, and a coupe of nice bucks, four shooters( for me a shooter is out to the ears with 4 points on one side) and a bunch of doe and smaller bucks(some legal)..

but did not get a deer, they were a little to far for the ole bow...

NWPAHunter

RE: The season opened this weekend!!!any luck

Postby NWPAHunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Seeing lots of deer, after its too dark to shoot.... Getting lots of good cam pics .....after dark. Havent seen much from the stand kinda suprising givin the sign in the areas I hunt. Its a long season. They'll come in sooner or later.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:05 am

Deer movement seemed to be early, surprised you did see any during the daytime, I started seeing deer at 4:30 all doe, I had a dozen doe within bow range but no 2f doe tag just a 2d tag. I save that for tracking in the snow during gun.

NWPAHunter

Postby NWPAHunter » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Saturday,morning passed a doe and fawn,. Afternoon I hurried and set up a pop up blind, and let the wife have my honey hole stand...... On my way in I kicked out a doe and at about 6 to 645 a kid on a wheeler was racing around the adjacent field and spooked the doe and fawn that was on their way to her.......Saturday ruined.......
Weekdays are tough as I get out of work at 3 and have to drive 20 minutes to base camp and take a noscent shower and get on my way by 345ish. I was set up by 4 Mon., and went farther in on Tues. not getting set til 430.   Kinda sucks but I take what I can. Where you at in 2F?

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

I saw only a button buck and a small doe on saturday.  Maybe I'll tyr again tomorrow.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:26 am

well I have a camp near cooks forest, i am a non resident so cant hunt every week but will be back on the 17th maybe hunt game lands in 2d to try and get a doe.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:09 am

was out sat. morning.  Didn't see a deer.  Had a darn wedding to go to sat. night.  Of course the deer seemed to be moving then.  My brother saw a ton of deer and shot a pretty decent non-typical 5 point.  Had pictures of this deer in velvet prior to the season.  He was running with 4 other buck, all of which are bigger (A big thanks to my brother for leaving them for me).  Sucks with PA, now he is done for the year for buck.  At least we live near MD which allows 6 buck a year. 

Anyhow, i will be out this weekend for sure.  Good luck to the rest of you.

NWPAHunter

Postby NWPAHunter » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:17 am

Coyotes ruined Fridays morning, Friday evening fell asleep in the groundbling....oops Saturday moring took my daughter out for squirrels. Lotsa fun but she missed em all. Saturday evening tried a different stand...Squirrel hunters behind me kinda buggered things I think.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:50 pm

It's been really warm the past couple days.  Seems like you have to get out early, or they quit moving.  Daylight movement is at a minimum with temps in the 70's and the deer in their winter coats, I think.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:28 am

this is what i observed so far.  first or last light, or no sight.  Supposed to drop pretty good in temp for this weekend.  I will be out for the early muzzleloader in MD though.  Can't wait.

Next

Return to Pennsylvania