If you could be Carl Roe for a day?

Everyday Hunter

RE: If you could be Carl Roe for a day?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:19 am

So, Andy, am I reading you correctly to say you'd like to see pheasant habitat created on all state game lands? I don't think coyotes are the only hindrance to wild pheasant populations. They never did well here in the northern part of the state even before coyotes became so entrenched.

If I were Carl Roe for a day, I'd resign from an impossible job. [:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 am

I woudn't call myself a phesant hunter. I have gone maybe 3 times in my life. However....why do we keep raising pheasants and then releasing them with no chance of survival. Why do we not do the trap and transfer from the Dakotas? Obviously we need the habitat but by transfering WILD pheasants wouldn't we have a self sustaining wild population and not these pen raised birds that don't know how to survive? Like I said, I am not a pheasant hunter so I don't know if what I'm talking about makes sense. What do you guys think?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:06 am

ORIGINAL: MD Lease

.... Why do we not do the trap and transfer from the Dakotas? Obviously we need the habitat but by transfering WILD pheasants wouldn't we have a self sustaining wild population and not these pen raised birds that don't know how to survive? ....

Fair enough question. My guess is that we've done that already. We have enough turkeys in PA that we could trade for just about anything. Why not email the news & info guy at the PGC with the question? On second thought, I'll do it, and post his reply when it comes.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

.... Why do we not do the trap and transfer from the Dakotas? Obviously we need the habitat but by transfering WILD pheasants wouldn't we have a self sustaining wild population and not these pen raised birds that don't know how to survive? ....

Fair enough question. My guess is that we've done that already. We have enough turkeys in PA that we could trade for just about anything. Why not email the news & info guy at the PGC with the question? On second thought, I'll do it, and post his reply when it comes.

Steve

He has replied already. We are currently getting pheasants from South Dakota and other states. For his complete reply, I've started a new thread called PA pheasant question.

Steve

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks Alot

cmarberg18

Postby cmarberg18 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:17 am

I really wish someone from the anti-sunday hunting would post something about the subject. I would really like to hear why anyone would be against it especially at this point in time. Everyone on here has limited time in the outdoors, why can't PA move forward into the 21st century. I believe with all the multi-tasking people do in their lives during the week i'm almost positive they can fit church and hunting into the same day. But if their argument isn't about church and God's day, then why keep the people who want to be outdoors inside? Also just as how I believe we start our turkey season too late in the year, I think we end our archery season too early. WV (correct me if i'm wrong) starts their archery season mid-october and it lasts till the end of december. Can anyone find a problem with that scenario especially in PA? I know it would free up a lot more time for me to take the woods for some meat in the freezer!

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 am

ORIGINAL: cmarberg18

Also just as how I believe we start our turkey season too late in the year, I think we end our archery season too early.

Great point!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:26 pm

ORIGINAL: cmarberg18

I believe with all the multi-tasking people do in their lives during the week i'm almost positive they can fit church and hunting into the same day. But if their argument isn't about church and God's day, then why keep the people who want to be outdoors inside?

I don't think the argument is about church and God's day. I think it has to do more with what an extra weekend day will do to the harvest (meaning whether the seasons would have to be adjusted), and with a large contingent of farmers (a fairly traditional group) threatening to post their land if Sunday hunting is permitted.

Anyway, here's something I wrote four years ago about Religious Issues In Sunday Hunting you may be interested in. The fact that Sunday is the biblical day of rest for Christians has nothing to do with the issue -- except for that possibly being in the thinking of the farmers who oppose it. It's no longer a part of the official rationale.

Steve

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:40 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I think it has to do more with what an extra weekend day will do to the harvest (meaning whether the seasons would have to be adjusted),

Another great point!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:28 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I think it has to do more with what an extra weekend day will do to the harvest (meaning whether the seasons would have to be adjusted),

Another great point!

Thanks. But considering that we have a two-week rifle season, I should have said TWO weekend days. And if the PGC shifted opening day to a Saturday, it could be THREE weekend days if the two week season would then end on a Sunday. I can certainly see how two or three high-pressure days could have an effect on the harvest.

For most other game (except for turkeys), adding Sundays probably wouldn't have much of an effect. 

Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania