Pheasant stamp

danesdad

Pheasant stamp

Postby danesdad » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Does anyone agree with me that PA should have a pheasant stamp whose funds should be dedicated to the propagation and stocking of birds?
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

ishman

Re: Pheasant stamp

Postby ishman » Thu May 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Absolutly! I never understood why we didnt have one. They could raise alot of money and raise alot more pheasants. I would have no problem paying for one. Now getting some others to understand that may be a different story.
Eric

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu May 26, 2011 6:10 pm

danesdad wrote:Does anyone agree with me that PA should have a pheasant stamp whose funds should be dedicated to the propagation and stocking of birds?

Pheasent are a dwindling bird in any state..maybe except North and or South dakota....The only problem i would forsee is that Revenue from stamps like that are usually controlled by Dept . of Natural Resources...which are run by the state...unless PA is different in how they collect monies and distribution of funds.

That being said if the state money pool gets low for highway or some other state entity they can rob Peter to pay Paul...

In other words the state can take those funds from your stamp and use it for road work...i know it's crappy but thats how state politics works..i know it first hand here in Illinois...Rod blago. [ our former Gov.] was going to shut down the hennepin canal and other state funded Dnr sites becuase of budget problems...

Pheasents Forever is a great organization,and i understand that your trying to do good for Pheasent,but unless PA is run different thats how State Monies are distributed..it's politics they dont stay in a protected fund if you will.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 am

That is my understanding too jonny

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:18 pm

In Pennsylvania, the game commission is a seperate entity funded soley by hunting license dollars and timber and gas revenues from state game lands (public hunting areas bought by the PGC to allow hunting). They get nothing from general taxation and thus any money generated by a pheasant stamp sale would remain in PGC coffers. The problem is, it may take an act of the PA legislature (the biggest, most expensive full time legislature in the country BTW), to create the stamp. And, without widespread support from hunters and the PGC, that is unlikely.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Pheasants are a non native species in PA which normally means that they would overwhelm populations of local widldlife and become wildly abundant. But, unlike stinkbugs, this did not happen.

Return to Pennsylvania