South Carolina Hunter Shot

ripper7

South Carolina Hunter Shot

Postby ripper7 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:14 pm

rthomas4

Re: South Carolina Hunter Shot

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 am

Notice that this happened in the Sumter National Forest! As I mentioned to our young beginning hunter in another forum thread, I've always heard bad things about that place and the people who hunt there.

I'm one of those people who don't believe there are such things as shooting accidents; but I do believe in stupid shootings!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, on a Federal WMA, center fire rifles are prohibited, and only smoke poles and shotguns with slugs are legal for hunting.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:31 am

Wow. I usually go hunting in sumter on friday and saturday. The day this happened I was not there. I was out there the next morning and did not hear anything about it. My brother had a close experience in sumter 2 years ago. Some moron was shooting in the direction of my brother when he could visibly see him, orange and all. When the shooting died down, my brother got out as fast as he could. Thankfully, I have not been in that situation, but this story concerns me a little bit. This is exactly why I prefer not to hunt from the ground.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 am

I haven't heard any more about this, so I was wondering. What charges are being brought against the shooter for using a center fire rifle in violation of the Federal WMA rules and regs? In the original article, the shooter admitted to using a .300 win. mag.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:05 am

Thats the exact reason I have taught my kids to IDENTIFY what you are shooting at. Too many people are killed or wounded like this. Never shoot at a moving bush PERIOD. I would rather pass on a deer because I cant ID it than to shoot a moving bush and kill someone because of my ignorance. There is NO excuse for this at all.
On another note there are a few people that I wouldnt mind giving a hat with a rack on top of it and tell them to go into the woods.... :twisted:
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

shadow, that's why I don't believe in accidental shootings, only stupid shootings! Even when hunting with the dogs, I was taught and I've taught others to pick a spot where you can identify the deer before pulling the trigger. Also, I teach new hunters to keep their asses parked wherever I put 'em until I come and get 'em and definitely not to get off of their stand and wander the woods..........even if they shoot a deer; wait 'til I get there and I'll trail it if it didn't drop where it was shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeathValleyMike

Postby DeathValleyMike » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:04 pm

rthomas4 wrote:Also, on a Federal WMA, center fire rifles are prohibited, and only smoke poles and shotguns with slugs are legal for hunting.

In South Carolina the Regulations differ for Archery, Muzzleloaders, and "Firearms". Firearms are legal in the Sumter National Forest . The Sumter national forest is comprised of most of the WMA land in game zone 1 and game zone 2 .

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:49 am

rthomas4 wrote:I'm one of those people who don't believe there are such things as shooting accidents; but I do believe in stupid shootings!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right on rt. In NY they are now prosecuting these so call accidents
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:09 pm

DeathValleyMike, wouldn't that be that the state WMAs are comprised of the Sumter National Forest, and not the other way around? I knew that SCDNR oversees the SNF, but was unaware that the state could supercede the Feds on the regulations. That isn't the case down here on the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is patrolled by SCDNR game wardens, but the Federal regulations against firearms is still in effect, plus when hunting on the area, hunters must have a printed map and copy of the regs, with the beginning and ending dates of the anticipated hunt. in their possession along with their state hunting license and another form of picture ID. Each time hunters plan to hunt there, they must obtain a new copy of the map and regs, along with the updated dates of the hunts. These regs are the reason I've only hunted the place one time, on top of having to take a boat ride for about 10 miles in order to access the area due to it being landlocked by private properties that don't allow access.

Return to South Carolina