Where to Stalk? Help New!

ulaughwme

Where to Stalk? Help New!

Postby ulaughwme » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Just moved to SC this year. I am from NM and looking for a place I can walk and hunt. Not a big tree sitter. Is there any place that would work? I don't want to bother people and was thinking of hiking in a ways where less hunters are. What about Zone 1? I live in Lexington. Any help would be appreciated. With that said, I don't mind sitting if I get one for sure as I do like the meat! Little girl 4 just loves deer jerky...although I tell her it's elk. Daddy..we dont eat dear!
Thanks!
Mark

rthomas4

Re: Where to Stalk? Help New!

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 am

I'd suggest that if you are planning to stalk a deer in SC that you do it on private property where you know there aren't any other hunters in the area. I'm not familiar with game zone 1, since I live and hunt in zone 6 and spot and stalk is an impossible proposal down here in the swampy low country. My first suggestion is based on the recent occurrence in Sumter National Forest where a deer hunter shot a hog hunter.....of course in that case both parties were breaking the law. The shooter was using a .300 Win Mag on a Federal WMA where blackpowder or shotguns with slugs are the only legal firearms, and the man who was killed wasn't wearing international hunter orange.

Regardless, I wish you luck with your endeavor!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

ulaughwme

Postby ulaughwme » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Dont' have any private land to hunt on and don't know anyone yet. Not a big lease kinda guy. I think I will try the remote zone and see if I'm wasting my time. At the worst...I'll get some exercise. I don't mind sitting in private if I had some and a nice field and plenty of deer. That would be different!! It not..then I like to walk a bit. Think I will try to find an old logging road or wide trail...that should do better than pushing through brush!! I think I'll try middle of the week too and late season to narrow the hunters out. Thanks for the reply.
Mark

t

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 am

Just understand that the deer numbers up there aren't anywhere near as high as they are down here in the lowcountry. That's why there are limits, certain seasons, and somewhat more restrictive regs in the upper part of the state. Don't pass up something that you wouldn't even have considered in NM. Roger Raglin passed on a buck, here in SC a couple of years ago that would probably have been a new state record, but he didn't think it was big enough since he's more accustomed to hunting out in the mid-west and the north.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to South Carolina