THE BEGGINING OF THE END

ripper7

THE BEGGINING OF THE END

Postby ripper7 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:36 pm

WITH THE WMA LAND CLOSED FOR 2 WEEKS FOR DEER HUNTING. IT IS TIME TO EVAULATE THE SEASON AND MAKE SOME CHANGES TO SALVAGE WHAT IS LEFT. AS FOR ME I WENT TO A RIFLE RANGE TO RECHECK MY RIFLE SCOPE, AND AM CURRENTLY GETTING THE HEAVY WEATHER COAT AIRED OUT. I THINK I NEED TO GET OUT OF MY COMFORRT ZONE AND EXPLORE/SCOUT SOME NEW AREAS THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX AND HUNT SOME THICK STUFF LIKE PINE THICKETS AND CUTOVERS. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON FINISHING STRONG?

Gutrunner

RE: THE BEGGINING OF THE END

Postby Gutrunner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:02 pm

You've got the right idea concerning pine thickets. Find where these transition into hardwoods and hunt them. With the leaves off you will be able to see long distances for deer exiting the thickets into the hardwoods looking for remaining acorns. With the rut basically over for mature does, food sources will attract the deer. Bucks will shadow does into food sources usually on WMA after the Thanksgiving break. This years orphaned fawns will herd up also during this time. A late rut will occur as these doe fawns enter into heat. Find these and be patient watching for the surviving bucks that will be using them like minesweepers for hunters. WMA deer have evolved to look up for danger, so try to keep movement to a minimum. I hope this helps and best of luck!!

Return to South Carolina