Anyone in TN out there? (or north MS)

shaggy

Anyone in TN out there? (or north MS)

Postby shaggy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 am

Wondering why there is no one from Tn. on here. Whould like to get some people on here so that we would know what was going on around us. I am seeing a lot less doe and am wondering why. I guess it's just the 3 doe a day rule. Seems to be going good though. Seeing alot more bucks crusing for doe. Write back with your county.

SHKYBoonie

RE: Anyone in TN out there? (or north MS)

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Hey Shaggy,

I am here in TN but I hunt, for the most part, in West KY. I still do some hunting here in Middle TN. I just can't really come to terms with TWRA's management strategies. 3 does per day, everyday of the season! That's insane! I have been seeing a few does and really nice bucks on a farm I hunt in Robertson Co. but it is still kinda "hit and miss". One minute they will be using that farm really heavy, the next it seems it is a grave yard.

Did y'all get the EHD in that area? We have some counties that got hit pretty hard and others that didn't get it too bad. The areas that did are still seeing the effects of it.

I might add, it doesn't seem to be very many hunters from the Southeast on this forum at all. Not to mention TN or MS.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

shaggy

Postby shaggy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:36 pm

We havn't had any EHD here in my county. I did read that a sign of one that survived, was cracked hooves. My buck had cracked hooves but at the time I didn't know about it, so I didn't inspect it to carefully. Yea 3 doe a day is definatley alot but no one will do that. Does allow you get your ratio correct if you have enough land. Wonder why the South isn't on here?

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Most will never get the chance at 3 does a day, but I know some around here that try. In most areas I have hunted, if you even killed 3 does a weekend you would be devastating the heard. Just seems it is a bad choice for management by TWRA.

As far as why there aren't many from the South on this forum, I think it is because most of the articles in the mag are geared toward the Northern States. We don't worry much with CWD, wolves, snow or temps below 0 degrees too much. Seems this is what most of the articles are about and most of the writers are from the Northern areas. There is still much info to be had, you just have to adjust it to where you hunt. I hunt KY mostly, so I'm just right there on the edge of what I consider North. We have alot of the same problems as some of them do up there as well as some of the problems that we have in the South.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

Return to Tennessee