My slice of heaven :)

DeanoZ

My slice of heaven :)

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 am

Just got back from a weekend at my property in the NEK.  Was great to be back up there again..almost forgot how cool it gets at night.  I had purchased 4 acres last year that borders state land and the Victory basin on the other side.  It was my first trip back since purchasing the property and I was pleased to see the area was flourishing.  Lots of tracks and sign to include a fresh set of moose tracks, saw a few deer, and plenty of turkey.  Marked some trees for clearing, remarked the corners and boundries and met with a contractor to discuss clearing out the site for the cabin.  Even managed to test out my new tree stand and get some practice in with the bow.  No real point to this post other than to say it was great to be back there...its as close as I've been to heaven in some time, aside from the guy who almost ran me off the road on the trip home..but thats another story ;)

gunther89

RE: My slice of heaven :)

Postby gunther89 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:35 am

Sounds like a nice place to have.
Scott

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm

That's really cool. What's even cooler is that it's a small tract of land and you think it's the greatest place ever! Most people who get small tracts that I have talked to in person are always like "ehh what a waste its not even worth it for this little piece" I feel like saying "Hey ill take it off yer hands if u hate it that much buddy lol! Thats really cool it borders state land too, thats gotta be nice when it gets crazy out there. Hopefully it produces for ya when your out there!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Congrats on your little piece of heaven....May you have many good memories ahead of you with that!!!!
QDM!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Yeah it really is cool, and I did not buy it for the size, but rather its proximity to great hunting for deer, moose, and turkey...I wanted a place I could drop a cabin on with a great view...Burke Mtn Ski resort is 5 mins away and the view (once I do some selective cutting) will be worth it.  If I put in some soft mast trees and shot plot, I'll get them in there, no doubt!

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Sounds like a nice spot Deano, that's a beautiful area.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:08 am

It is Vt Archer... and I can see Burke Mtn Ski Resort from it..literallya  5 minute ride up the road...if you've never ski'd it I highly recommend it...challenging slopes with modest lift line waits

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 am

I have been up there before.. nice little place.. skiing has gotten so expensive though that I generally strap my skis on my pack and snowshoe up or put skins on them and ski up... great exercise, untracked snow, few to no other people and you really earn that beer :) run around the NEK a lot during the winter time

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Hey Deanoz,

Happy to hear about the land. A while back, you were asking about log cabins, did you have any luck finding somebody to do one or a kit? I wish you the best up there. It is always so much better when it is your own land. Congrats.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Hey NVT, yes I actually came across a couple builders, one in Long Island who had a pre-built 16x20 beauty for $25K with all the bells and whistles...unfortunately the economy being what it is and my wife out of work, even at that price I could not afford it.  I also had a builder come to look at the property, but with septic, well, excavating it would be 70K...way out of my price range.  The best deal I found was a Cabelas Cabin model at the Harrisburg, PA store on sale for 7K pre-built...only thing was you would be responsible for moving it, lol!  That deal lasted oen week before some guy swooped in, bought it, dismantled it himself and hauled it off on a flatbed.  At this point I'm starting to lean towards a DIY job, but its going to be a while until i can really afford to do anything...I got nothing but time :)

Next

Return to Vermont