What to plant

DeanoZ

What to plant

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:15 pm

To all my fellow Vt Hunters, as mentioned previously I've just aquired a few acres in northeastern VT.  Wanted to plant a small food plot, nothing substancial, just enough to get more deer coming my way..any suggestions on something that will last well into the late season?  Will probably plant an apple tree or two, but in addition to that I was thinking about some ground mast as well, just not sure what would fair well in northern vermont.

dtrain56

RE: What to plant

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:15 pm

clover would be easy to et oin and last into winter, also easy to maintain by sprayin with a herbicide durin the summer a couple times...

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 am

Hey Deanoz,

dtrain is right. Up here, clover would be your best all around food plot. Try to find a clover blend that is cold tolerent so it will last you into December. If you mix it with Brassicas (turnips), you will have a great plot. The turnips will be around in Dec. for the deer to devour. Try to plant it in August so the brassicas don't mature and go to seed before the season.

Good luck. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:35 am

dtrain/NVT...thank you!  I was hoping you both would chime in.  Funny thing is I was thinking about either/or of the clover or brassicas, but never occured to do both...great idea and thanks for the tips.  NVT when you say mix it up is it ok to literally intersperse the brassicas and clover or should I section off a part that is just clover and just brassicas?  Thanks again guys..good luck this season!

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 pm

It would be great to mix the seed. They are both the same size seed so you can broadcast them at the same time. Just go lite on the brassicas then what the manufacturer recommends if you mix the seed.
The problem with brasicas is that you have to plant enough of them to last. When the deer find them after a couple of good hard killing frosts, they will wipe out and acre in a few days. Just keep an eye on them when it gets clod to see when the deer start using them.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:42 am

Gotcha...thanks again NVT

Return to Vermont