Hunter Attitude

New England Hunter

Hunter Attitude

Postby New England Hunter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 pm

I am a new member on the site and thought I would throw this out there for discussion as I do not believe I am alone with this observation....

First I'll give a little background on myslef - I am 29 years old and a life long hunter.  My family has a long hunting tradition as do many Vermont families.  I can remember tagging along with my father and grandfather at a very young age, long before I was able to even lift a rifle, let alone shoot one.  I remember them not only teaching me 'how to hunt' but more importantly to enjoy the outdoors and appreciate the small wonders one can see/experience in the woods.  I have shot several deer in Vermont, my first deer being when I was 11 years old.  I have also gone multiple consecutive seasons without even seeing a deer. 

Over the past 5-10 years I can't help but notice the attitude of many hunters has changed.  Hunters attitudes seem to have shifted from simply enjoying their time in the woods to deeming a season as a failure or waste of time if they do not harvest a deer.  Some have even given up the sport.  While I understand the frustration in going home empty handed (afterall we all hope to harvest a deer), I do not understand the measure of enjoyable hunt being whether or not you harvest a deer or the size of the deer harvested.  The hunt is just that - a hunt - it's the thrill of the chase.  I can honestly say I get more enjoyment from the hours, days, weeks, months, and years spent in the woods prior to harvesting a deer than the actual harvest, and I don't think I'm alone with this feeling.  Filling the freezer is just icing on the cake.  Next time you are out chasing the elusive Vermont whitetail try to enjoy your time in the woods.  Walk a little slower, take a longer look at the wildlife and sign, take a longer look at that sunny hill side, pack a lunch and spend all day in the woods.  If you put in your time and enjoy the experience, your hunt will be successful - and who knows, maybe you will be lucky enough to fill your freezer. 

Return to Vermont