WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT.

ZEEK

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT.

Postby ZEEK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 pm

After the F+G meetings, which from what I hear and read were not real pleasant for the dept. guys. After some thinking about our deer situation I decided to do something about it. The states job is not to make sure we have lots of deer to shoot, it's to keep the herd within the lands carring capacity. And with most of the state being private how much can they really do. So I bought my first set of coyote traps to go out next fall, and a couple calls to hunt them with this winter and spring. I also talked with the landowner of where I hunt and got the okay to free up some over grown apple trees. I hope to do a good job so he'll consider doing a more extensive logging job. We are in desparate need of wintering habitat and preditor control in this state, and the goverment ain't going to do it for us. I know the place I hunt the owner could care less about deer and how many of them are out there, and I'm sure most non hunting owners are like him. So I'm going to what I can. Starting with, killing some dogs if I can.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Dan

RE: WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT.

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 pm

If you are going to go after the coyotes, try to get them all in your area.  Bring in hounds to find the dens.  Studies have shown that the liter size changes depending on their population.  When there's a dent in their population, they start putting out 15 pups.  When there is a high population, they only put out 5 pups or so.  That means it does no good to dent the population, you have to wipe it out for your area.  That's what I've heard anyway, not sure if it is really true.

Return to Vermont