Campbell Co. Rut 2012

GrassRoots

Campbell Co. Rut 2012

Postby GrassRoots » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:57 am

New to this board so let's give er a shot. I'm gathering conflicting dates as to the predictions of the rut in south central Va this year...Campbell Co. To be exact. It's always in the middle of November just curious as to what all the smart people are saying as to when the peak day/days are. Thanks in advance.

oletimer

Re: Campbell Co. Rut 2012

Postby oletimer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:07 am

I am not a biologist but have been watching this for well over the past 10 years. I believe Charles Ashimer's moon phase prediction has been right on ! The full moon after the harvest moon seems to kick it off. So if all goes according to what it has in the past the heat of the rut will be around the 13th of November. I have found the bucks are really cruising just before the full moon. In the past when Oct. has a blue moon the rut has been in late Oct. We will see soon. They have been opening scrapes for several week here. The boys are ready...just waiting on the girls. Sound familiar.
lead follow or get out of the way

FindmeOutside

Postby FindmeOutside » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 am

oletimer wrote:I am not a biologist but have been watching this for well over the past 10 years. I believe Charles Ashimer's moon phase prediction has been right on ! The full moon after the harvest moon seems to kick it off. So if all goes according to what it has in the past the heat of the rut will be around the 13th of November. I have found the bucks are really cruising just before the full moon. In the past when Oct. has a blue moon the rut has been in late Oct. We will see soon. They have been opening scrapes for several week here. The boys are ready...just waiting on the girls. Sound familiar.

Excellent observations! I agree 100% Charlie is spot on year after year in letting us know what kind of activity will take place during the rut.......only problem is sometimes the timeframe in which this takes place. Being that VA is fairly south we find ourselves right on the border of falling into the southern rut, but we don't. From my observing and listening to Charlie year after year it appears that we don't exactly fall right into the northern rut either. Now like oletimer I am NOT a biologist just a life-time hunter/observer, but in my opinion we almost seem to fall in a non existant "Central Rut". Charlie is predicting this year that with the full moon falling on the 29th (my bday) that three days later the rut will begin ,Oct. 31 lasting until roughly Nov. 7-9th. From my experience it appears that our rut usually falls just behind what is going on in say the NY area and well ahead of what's going on in the southern say TX area. If I had to pick one week to be in the woods this year it would be from Nov. 5th a Monday until the following Monday Nov. 12th. If time allows obviously the safe bet is to be in the woods from the Nov. 1 - Nov. 15th as much as possible. I have observed the same scrapes being worked for weeks as well just waiting on the girls, as recent as this past sunday I watched two seperate mature bucks feed along near a few doe but not really pushing or sniffing at all just yet. Anyways goodluck this season!
Browning 7mm 08 Leupold 3x12 fed with Hornady Ammo = Dead Deer
Nikon D7000 70-300mm AF-S = Great Photos

GrassRoots

Postby GrassRoots » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll be up there from the 14th-18th this year on my cousin's farm at our annual "Men of the family" hunt....two days of black powder and a day of rifle. It's always a good time and I plan on being in the woods every legal minute I can. Good luck to ya'll.

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Opps...yes findmeoutside I agree with you. I looked at the calender wrong and yes the full moon is in Oct. Thought I had put it earlier than mid Nov. Have to agree that the best time will be the first week of Nov. I will be there only wishing I could be there sooner but my shoulder will not let me shoot a bow any more. And I am just stuborn enough not to use a crossbow. I think it is a good weapon but should not be in the bow season..just my old way of looking at it I guess. From an old recurve shooter that makes his own wood arrows and cuts turkey feather for fletchings.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Thats too bad oletimer, you could be enjoying yourself hunting with a crossbow. It's not all that much easier. After all, it's all about making a good clean kill and spending a great day in the woods.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:42 am

charlie 01 wrote:Thats too bad oletimer, you could be enjoying yourself hunting with a crossbow. It's not all that much easier. After all, it's all about making a good clean kill and spending a great day in the woods.

I agree it is all about a clean kill and time enjoying the whole experience. However I think bow season is a bonus and is [or should I say was ] for those that take the time to practice with a primative weapon. The muzzleloader is now not a primative weapon either. Opening day was the first day of rifle season for the majority of hunters. It was a big celebration and schools were closed that day. Now anyone that can look through a scope and pull a trigger can start hunting in bow season.
That being said I do not begrudge anyone for using a crossbow or modern muzzleloader. They are legal weapons but I do not wish to lower my standards. Even as you say it does limit my hunting time. My bow hunting was not ramped up until late Oct or Nov most years since the early season is too hot most years. But not too far back there was no muzzleloader season and the bow hunter had the best part of the season to themselves The heat of the rut was much more intense since there was much less pressure.
We as a society are making everything easier. That is not always a bad thing but I believe there is a bigger personal reward when you take the time to learn how to use a primative weapon. Success is much sweeter in my opinion.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 am

I'm not going to argue with you oletimer, just letting you know you could be missing out on something. I know where your coming from, I started when there were only recurves and no sights just instinctive shooting. It was quite an accompishment when you shot something. I guess I have just moved on with modern times, but still thoroughly enjoy myself and my accomplishments. Take care.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 am

Charlie01 there is nothing to argue about. As with politics arguements accomplish nothing. Discussions are great. As I said I do not begrudge anyone for using any legal weapon. Good luck this season...hopefully it will cool off soon.

mhicks7

Postby mhicks7 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 am

I am a college student and have my schedule around my hunting which allows me to spend a lot of time in woods hunting and watching. I on average spend about 30 hours of my week in the woods. from what I have seen the big boys are moving now and are very aggressive towards other bucks. once the peak of the rut hits the bucks will be harder to find during the day. the best time to kill them is going to be this Saturday through next weekend because they have become very territorial. as far as timing i have been watching a particular deer and it seems that early morning, middle of the afternoon (I know it means pack a lunch and sit tight.), and late evening are the best times to find them in a rage. I have also found that this week its better to use buck urine rather than doe urine. maybe the occasional bleat but i will be sticking mainly with the grunt tube and rattlers. hope this helps anyone trying to bag a big one. by the way I spend alot of time in the woods year round preparing for the season. Give this tid bit of advice a try and give me some feed back as to how it works.
good luck fellas

Next

Return to Virginia