WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

chuks

WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Postby chuks » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 am

HI GUYS AND GALS, FELLOW HUNTER OF WV, PROPERTY OWNER, AND YES OUT OF STATER,, BUT I WOULDNT GIVE UP WV HUNTING FOR NOTHING!!! I LIVE IN NC AND ENJOY MY FARM SO MUCH, I EAT SLEEP AND BREATHE WV HUNTING AS ALL OF U DO. THE EARLY SEASON MUZZLELOADER AND BOW SEASONS I THINK WERE A GOOD IDEA BUT, TO TELL THE TRUTH I DIDN'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT JUST DIDN'T SEEM LIKE HUNTING TIME OF YEAR.. IT REMINDED ME TOO MUCH OF NC HUNTING, EARLY SEPTEMBER, SO HOT YOU CANT BREATHE, AND BUGS EATING U ALIVE. CAN'T WAIT FOR TURKEY SEASON SHOULD BE A GREAT CROP OF BIRDS!!

retiredsailor

RE: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 am

Welcome aboard, chuks.
I agree with your comments about the bugs, heat, etc., (not to mention snakes) during the mid-September seasons. Looks like the state DNR is planning to make these special September seasons a regular part of the WV hunting schedule.
What area of the state do you hunt?

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:23 am

Morning retiredsailor, I have family in Mineral and Hampshire County. I used to hunt these counties many years ago before I relocated to VA. Now I just go there to visist. Like you said their are alot a deer in WV. My brothers do alot of deer hunting there.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:36 am

I do most of my hunting in Hampshire county. As you know, it is one of the largest counties in the state but also one of the least populated. However, like everywherer else, it is getting harder and harder to find decent hunting property there, although the state does have several nice public hunting areas. Large numbers of deer for sure. We don't generally have big deer or record racks, but it does make for some very rewarding hunting. Ironically, the largest deer I ever took was a big 8-pointer, in Hampshire county, the night before the 2008 rifle season. Hit him with my pickup. Did over $6,000 in damage. Nearly ruined my season, but managed to still have an enjoyable hunt.

chuks

Postby chuks » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:10 am

I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a 140 acre parcel bordering the Lewis Wetzel WMA in Tyler county. I love the area. Although my concern is it seems the abundance of the deer are in the bottoms. U cant even hardly drive in the bottom land for the deer. Maybe it has been due to poor mast in the last 2 years. Not sure? My brother and I are putting in food plots and trying to keep the deer up high. Last year it seemed to help a great deal, so i'm looking forward to this year being the 2nd yr of planting.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:36 am

ORIGINAL: chuks

I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a 140 acre parcel bordering the Lewis Wetzel WMA in Tyler county. I love the area. Although my concern is it seems the abundance of the deer are in the bottoms. U cant even hardly drive in the bottom land for the deer. Maybe it has been due to poor mast in the last 2 years. Not sure? My brother and I are putting in food plots and trying to keep the deer up high. Last year it seemed to help a great deal, so i'm looking forward to this year being the 2nd yr of planting.

Sounds like a nice set up......140 acres bordering a Wildlife Management Area. Food plots should help bring some deer up from the bottom land. What's the attraction in the bottom land? Farms, orchards, corn fields, more cover? I agree, the establishment of a couple of food plots should be a big help. What sort of things are up planting in the plots.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Hey chuks, let us know how things look after your next trip to your property.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:53 am

Well, the first week-long doe-only bow season for September has kicked in. Anyone having any luck?
Had to take my mother to a doctor's appointment Monday so missed opening day. However, spent 12 hours in the woods yesterday (morning and early afternoon in a semi-fixed ladder stand, and the remainder of the day hunting out of a brush pile ground blind.
Somewhat disappointing day. Although the weather was great - a bit warm in the afternoon - only saw one doe and she was some 80 yards away.
Noticed that there are tons of acorns onthe ground - large ones at that.
Plan to spend Thursday in my climbing stand surrounded by acorn bearing oak trees.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:29 am

Hello West Va hunters.
New member here. Live in New Jersey but hunt in West Virginia. My father-inlaw took me trout fishing 10 years ago. Fell in love with WV. He was born & raised in Valley Head. Starting looking for property, found some near Huttonsville. About 8 years ago my father-inlaw introduced me to hunting. Now you can't keep me out of the woods. Big difference between hunting West Virginia & New Jersey. I much more injoy hunting West Virginia. To many negative people in Jersey. Like I am stealing "THEIR" place to hunt. I thought public land was for everyone? Not worth the headache. I guess you have to expect that from the most densely populated state. I have never had any problems in West Virginia.
With that all said. How has the hunting been? I was lucky enough to get a doe on opening morning of archey. I will be in my tree stand Nov 11 - 13th. Then back for Thanksgiving week. Do you think the RUT will be high gear Thanksgiving week?

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am

From everything I'm reading, this year the rut should peak during the week of Thanksgiving. Of course, gotta give or take a week, but should be a good week to be in the deer woods. Let us hear how you make out.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

Next

Return to West Virginia