Northern Wisconsin - How Many Deer Will Make It?

MZS

Northern Wisconsin - How Many Deer Will Make It?

Postby MZS » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Anybody hear of deer mortality reports in N. WI for this winter? I found one article at http://www.charlieelk.com/2014/wisconsi ... d-turkeys/ Sounds like next season may be buck-only up north, for possibly archery as well.

I stay out of yarding areas as this would just stress them out more - so I can only wonder how they are doing. There were darned few deer up by us last fall before the winter started.

MZS

Re: Northern Wisconsin - How Many Deer Will Make It?

Postby MZS » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Here is another article, citing the severity index. Most severe winter ever, especially up north. But if the weather lets up and we get an early spring, it might not be as bad as it easily could be.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250395481.html

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:08 am

Bad winter for all Northern states. Here in NY we had countless sub zero temps coupled with high winds. The snows were deep but not unmanageable for the herds and the turkeys vacated the hills where snows are always deeper. I know that ppl plotting and the fact farmers chose this past fall to plant clovers and grains in corn fields couldn't have been timed better. We had ppl log in the fall and I always choose late winter to do my select tree cutting...The tops are hit hard...the area where we have streams are also witch hazel and rugosa rose areas that I leave for the wildlife.The swampy areas are loaded with cattails.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 pm

I cut down 3 poplar today near an area where some deer have been feeding on my land over winter - the tops could serve them well and possible get them through this final stretch. Need some firewood anyway so after the deer are done with it, it will serve another purpose.

MZS

Postby MZS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:23 pm

After almost 3 weeks of heavy snow and some more winter like temps Spring has finally sprung up here! Fields are starting to clear and I am seeing deer! Glad I cut down those popples though - we had 16" of heavy snow just a week ago. I cut down one more large popple right before that last blizzard.

Also seeing quite a few deer dead along the highway. I am thinking that they go to the road in desperation right before they die?

Return to Wisconsin