WI 09 Hunting Journal

Goose

WI 09 Hunting Journal

Postby Goose » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:28 am

Well with the season only 2 weeks away, I will start the thread for field notes across WI.
Last years journal was awesome with a lot of entries from across the state! We had 11,381 hits on it and 505 entries into the journal. It is a great tool to compare what is going on across the state and what the local deer are doing in your area. I hope to get some more hunters to put their entries in and I hope the great posters we had last year will continue to add to the journal this year.
Whether you see no deer or a ton of deer, your entries will help with the big picture. After a couple of years we will be able to see patterns for pre-rut, the rut itself, and post-rut behavior for our state and locales.

When your hunt ends with a kill, please post a picture with your animal. It does not matter if it is a doe, nubby, or buck because each one is a trophy to that individual!

I personally wish every one of you the best of luck this year, and I hope you enjoy the hunt and what goes into it as much as the kill!

Heres a link to last years hunting notes- http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=6926
Heres a link to what county everybody is in- http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=33711

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

RE: WI 09 Hunting Journal

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 am

I've just been itching for you to start this thread Goose. Yes, last year it was awesome and I enjoyed reading everyone's posts on what they were seeing. This year will turn out even better!
Kyle

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:58 pm

I hear ya! I was gonna post it earlier this week but figured I should wait a little bit! LOL
Been out with that spot light at all?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:31 pm

speaking of the spot light....I went out tonite and actually saw more bucks than I did does and fawns while shinning-none of the bucks were more 2.5 yrs old, but still more bucks than does tonite. 

Did a bit of scouting too today.  I didnt notice much for acorns dropping on our property in Marquette County.  However, yesteday while walking with my son, a couple big old oaks in the city of Oshkosh were "raining" acorns on us.

Good luck you guys and girls.  Lets make this thread twice as good as the one last year. 
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:00 pm

I was glad you started it Goose, well BWB and I did some quick scouting in an area where we found the first rubs last year and we found 7 fresh rubs!  We were both suprised to find that many so we put one of our cuddeback's up in the spot.  Also seen a mature buck out of velvet too.  

Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:45 pm

I've heard that a couple of times now-that they are stripping their velvet! Its getting to be that time of year!
I'm looking forward to those hard horned pics!
Thats awesome that you guys found some rubs already!
Jake

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Goose- I have not went out shining lately. Gunther and I did go out a while back and saw a few does, but no bucks. Right now it's difficult to see many deer around here because there are so many corn fields. However, once the season starts I'm sure we will be out in full force shining.

I must say finding those first rubs of the year really got my blood pumping!
Kyle

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, I just finished reading the thread from last year. Seemed like there was never an intense rut last year for anyone really. I was'nt on here last year during the season but had some good encounters I could have shared. I hope everyone sees enough deer to keep you happy. Good luck to all!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:46 pm

I walked both of our properties today, and have been noticing fresh scrapes along the field edges.  Lots of trails going into and out of the oats/beans/and corn.  We're not too far away...
QDM!

wack

Postby wack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 am

Well I've been out knocking on doors to try to find a good place to hunt since last Jan. and I thought I had found a great place. A friend is renting a house and the land lord agreed to let us hunt if we put up stands he could also use and plant a few small food plots.

I talked with the owner extensively, asked all the questions, drew up a plan, scouted, planted, trimmed lanes, even put in a few watering holes, put up a few new stands, fixed a few old stands, the place is prime and ready. Went up last weekend only to find a big FOR SALE sign. I called my friend who called the owner, he says forget the For sale sign, it's sold, "you've got 2 weeks to get your stands out." Then he offers me $100 if I just leave my stands there!  At this point, I was seeing red and hung up. I wandered around a little to gather myself then called him back. Asked if the buyer would let me hunt if I leave all my stands up. He said he'd ask and explain to the buyer my situation and get back to me. I got the call this morning, I've got 48 hours to get my stands off the property. he's going to meet me there later today to give me a hand and my friend has to be out of the house Oct 1st. Funny how the stands have to be out by the start of bow season, but the house doesn't need to be empty till Oct. 1st. You can bet I'll be finding out if we can at least hunt til Oct 1st or even just opening weekend. At least then I'd get a little return on MY investment. This wasn't the way I wanted my '09 hunting Journal to begin....
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Wisconsin