Past and Future Season Discussions-Ideas and Dislikes

Flowerpacker

RE: Past and Future Season Discussions-Ideas and Dislikes

Postby Flowerpacker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 am

I would also like to see a nub buck be tagged as a buck tag!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:00 am

ORIGINAL: Flowerpacker

I would also like to see a nub buck be tagged as a buck tag!

I think that's a great idea...Will it ever happen?  Hm, not sure.  Does anyone know if any other states treat it like this?
QDM!

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:25 pm

I think if you do this you are going to drive a lot of hunters away from hunting.

Osty

Postby Osty » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Not in favor of using a buck tag for a nub buck.  Light conditions, brush, deer running, etc. can have an effect.  I shot 2 nub bucks in North Carolina last year that were running.  I could have let them go but they were pushed out and I had the tags to shoot 2 deer.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:08 pm

If something such as being required to tag a nubby with a buck tag is going to drive hunters away... they probably should'nt be hunting anyway. Those are the type of people that shoot first and ask questions later. Harvesting a deer is not a do or die situation.

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:57 pm

So now we're back to bashing hunters again. There is a lot of difference between looking at a calm standing deer and one that has been pushed on a drive. Driving being a legal way to hunt deer makes this a non-starter law. Now you are back to making ethical rules based on the way you prefer to hunt. This is almost as bad a rule to make as all the muddled rules that have been made since CWD, herd control and EAB started.

You'll lose hunters, and that will make your clout with the DNR that much less. I don't think that anyone, the DNR included wants to lose hunter numbers. If you lose hunters, you lose jobs and income for the state, both bad mojo right now.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm not bashin anyone. Last time I checked I am also a hunter. You seem a bit oversensitive to anything that is said that you don't agree with. Just because something is legal does'nt make it right. Morality is in the heart of the hunter. I personally feel that people should be aware of what they are about to kill. That is my personal opinion. I also am not comfortable with shooting at deer that are running. Maybe that comes from lack of experience shooting at moving targets or simply that I like to know exactly what's going in my freezer. If it makes you feel any better I'm sure that having to tag a nubby as a buck will never happen simply because most hunters will not stand for it. It is much easier to just shoot rather than taking time to decipher what you are shooting at. The only people that are going to take offense with that statement are the ones who hunt that way.

As far as the WIDNR goes... they don't need any help from me. I think they've got losing hunters covered. 
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

bucktale

Postby bucktale » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Very well put DoeEyed!
Dave

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:09 am

I think requiring nubby bucks be tagged with a buck tag would discourage some hunters from even attempting to harvest antlerless deer (when needed) for fear of losing thier buck tag accidentily and also, unfortunately, I think some hunters would just walk away from a nubby they accidentily shot.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:21 am

That would be unfortunate. But...there's always a but. Being that we can party hunt in WI. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to tag that nubby and put some venison in their freezer. Not everyone lives for antlers. And that's alright.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin