Past and Future Season Discussions-Ideas and Dislikes

buckhunter21

RE: Past and Future Season Discussions-Ideas and Dislikes

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:23 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

If something such as being required to tag a nubby with a buck tag is going to drive hunters away... they probably should'nt be hunting anyway. Those are the type of people that shoot first and ask questions later. Harvesting a deer is not a do or die situation.

I 100% agree with this.  Have I shot a deer thinking that it was a doe and then find out it was a nubbn'?  Yes.  I think this will make hunters more wary and informed of what they shoot.  If you don't know exactly what it is you're shooting at, should you shoot it?  I know nubs can be hard to see at times though, specially in the early season.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:27 am

unfortunately, I think some hunters would just walk away from a nubby they accidentily shot.

This is quite possible.  But, I think we have these types of hunters around already, and they'll do whatever it takes or whatever they want.  Doesn't matter what kind of law there is...This also falls into poaching and I'm sure they wouldn't be immune to that either.  There are always going to be rules that are meant to obeyed without a careful eye watching you/them.  It's up to you to obey them...and if you don't, you may or may not get away with that and that's what you have to live with.
QDM!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:41 am

I've seen it happen with does with the EAB.  The hunter would shoot a doe, then register it and get his buck tag and jump the deer along the side of the road.  It's very clear to tell it wasn't a road kill when it was field dressed.  Those are the hunters that make me so mad.
Scott

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:09 am

Those are the kind of people that should'nt hunt. They have absolutley no respect for the life they take. That's a terrible waste.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:13 am

ORIGINAL: gunther89

I've seen it happen with does with the EAB.  The hunter would shoot a doe, then register it and get his buck tag and jump the deer along the side of the road.  It's very clear to tell it wasn't a road kill when it was field dressed.  Those are the hunters that make me so mad.

Jeez, I wonder if these same guys dump their bucks bodies after they have removed the antlers.

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:16 am

Man alot of great idea's I have read every post on this subject and what make's the most sense to me is this, #1 Don't forget who ultimately run's the show regardless of the law's. We the tax paying citizen's run this country, doesn't seem that way now but we do! Just like us hunter's run the wood's, there is more of us than there is them, and by that I mean the DNR. So listen guy's we as hunter's need to do what's right and with all the book's and some T.V. program's out there no one should be ignorrant enough to let their own heard go down hill. Just because they tell us to jump doesn't mean we have to! even if it does make us a law breaker. At some point in time we all have to look at what we are doing because like I said earlier there's more of us. So who's to blame, who care's what's done is done I think we all know how to fix the problem. This really applies to the private land owner such as myself, This is what I do if I have to many mice in my house I put out more trap's and so on, I would like to manage my deer the same way, After all I do believe these are our deer not the DNR's. I don't mean to sound like a hell raiser here but come on, Just because some suit and tie passes some law down in Madison based on what goes on down there does not mean that those of you in the far north woods have to except it, I know I wouldn't I would try to use common sense with my perticular area. I will respect all law's that are passed but if that law happen's to be a poor choice for your area fix the problem. I guess I'm along the same line's as goose and a few others that realize that us hunter effect the population of deer more than anything. And as far as the wolves go WELL---------

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

I completely agree with doeyed when he says that you should know you're target! i do not agree with shooting at something when i don't know what it is. that is just unethical and why i don't like big haymaker drives because the people doing those drives are taking unethical shots at deer. You should always know your target and have a good ethical shot or you shouldn't take the shot.

Osty

Postby Osty » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:58 pm

I shot the 2 nub bucks on a deer drive with dogs.  I didn't see antlers because the first one was coming at me, stopped about 15 yards, spun, and I shot.  When I took some pictures and was getting ready to dress him, I heard the dogs chasing.  I was standing next to the 1st buck when the dogs pushed another deer out, maybe 35-40 yards.  Got the 2nd buck with my last shot as he crossed the road.  Oh yeah, buckshot only so a little bit more forgiving on the aiming.  I didn't care if they were carrying antlers or not, it was an either sex hunt and I'm proud to finish my day in the first 1/2 hour of hunting.  Actually had another deer run at me when I was ready to start dressing both deer!

With the past season, how would you have liked to shoot an "antlerless" deer and then find out it's a nub buck because of the fog?  Or the deer are in some brush and it looks like a doe?  I agree with some, there will be those who will shoot, look, and leave because it's not a doe.  Or some just simply not shooting.  I totally agree with looking before you shoot but there are some circumstances that don't allow you to look at the deer for real long.

Just my 2 cents.  Have a happy holiday.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Here are my wishes:

1. Cut the rule book in half. Quit mandating deer population controls. Give enough flexibility where the landowners and local people can determine how many deer they want to shoot - we have to have the fattest rule book in the country.

2. Add $20 to each license to pay bounty for coyotes and maybe someday wolves. Pay hunters $20 for each wolf or coyote they kill

3. Like the old days - give a bear tag with each deer tag. We have to get the population of bears (and predators) under control. It made me sick how few twins fawns and single mature does I saw this year.

4. Bow - Sept 1- Jan 31, Gun the 9 traditional days, Muzzleloader - the Month of Dec with gun tags

5. Quit registering deer - this is the biggest waste of time and money. Call in deer kills and increase the fine for violating. Other states are doing it and they dont have the problems we have.

6. Quit baiting

7. Start a state program to cut trees and develop state property. There is not enough diversity/browse to support deer on public lands. Consider lottery programs on some bigger state lands - control the kill, # of hunters and the antler size like they do in other states

8. Let people lease their closed MFL lands. In my opinion, this rule change made more sactuaries and less pressure during gun season. For the land owner who does not want to deal with the problems of having open MFL lands - why not let them lease their land so someone can hunt them. There is no doubt, in my neck of the woods, the pressure has decreased dramatically. The other issue is, the ones who are really hurt without leasing MFL lands are the hunters. From a cash flow stand point - paying $25-40/acre to lease a 40, is surely a better deal than forking out $140-200K to own it and then pay taxes. All this did was hurt the aveage hunter - I would bet the # of open acres have not increased because of this law change.

9. More rifles and less shotgun areas. Studies have proven shotguns are not safer

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:39 am

WolfRiverHunter -

Had found a buck on my property with the antlers removed the day before gun season in WI. Also found some other deer carcasses previously. What a waste of an animal. This was around Stevens Point.

One season they were cutting a piece of the deer off so that hunters couldn't re-register does for the EAB sticker.

I hunt around Hortonville the last 5 days of gun season. Was pretty quiet last year for a gun season.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin