WI 2010 Hunting Journal

gunther89

RE: 2010 WI Hunting Journal

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Wow it looks like your having a great season so far, congrats!!
Scott

Huntin Farmland

Postby Huntin Farmland » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I am fortunate to hunt on two different places both over 300 acres (Grandfather's and father in-laws). Have some good QDM going at my GPA's and starting it this year with the neighbor's where the above deer were taken. My brother in-law and a friend harvested them. I hunt weekends at my grandpa's and weeknights at in-laws (Live a mile from there). We need to thin out the does here a bit even though we are in the CWD zone.
Genesis 9:3 �Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.�

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm

ORIGINAL: booner427

Jslotter, and buckhunter21 I have hunted both areas and they do hold deer. It does get pounded with gun hunters tho. Bow season can be rough as there is lots of people that walk through. I have even walked 45 min back in and still had bird hunters come through. oh well thats hunting public land. Usually the crops have been harvested by gun season. you just gotta find there winter food source. the deer are still there.

Thanks for the heads-up, and more importantly, welcome to the forum! 

I might give it a walk-through next spring to see what it's like in there.  That, and I have a few other public areas I want to look into.  Be nice to hit up some different properties.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Huntin Farmland....Congrats on your recent harvest and great season! 
QDM!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:29 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ORIGINAL: booner427

Jslotter, and buckhunter21 I have hunted both areas and they do hold deer. It does get pounded with gun hunters tho. Bow season can be rough as there is lots of people that walk through. I have even walked 45 min back in and still had bird hunters come through. oh well thats hunting public land. Usually the crops have been harvested by gun season. you just gotta find there winter food source. the deer are still there.

Thanks for the heads-up, and more importantly, welcome to the forum! 

I might give it a walk-through next spring to see what it's like in there.  That, and I have a few other public areas I want to look into.  Be nice to hit up some different properties.

I did some research on the those public lands. If you didnt know already. Dunnville Wildlife area , that the Downesville bottoms, has 5,063 acres. Muddy Creek has 4,351 acres. Lambs Creek, 4 miles north of Menomonie has 711 acres, and Big Beaver Creek, Where I live close to has 584 acres. Big Beaver Creek is mostly swamp but there are a few good spots.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 am

Went out today for a little walk. Ended up seeing 5 antlerless deer. 4 of them were bedded out in an alfalfa field at 1:30 in the afternoon, taking in the sun. The other one I saw while walking through a big funnel. I did find multiple beds and trails and definitely know where deer are at. Now I just need to find where the big bucks are! Hope to go back out again on Thursday and shoot a big one on my birthday.
Kyle

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 pm

I went on a drive down the back roads by my place yesterday. I was looking for deer trails going across the roads and checking nearby cornfields. Not much activity anywhere from where I looked close by. I did see a cut cornfield that was getting tore up real good by the deer about 4 miles away. I found a few good trails going across some of the roads. Most of the deer are in their winter herds now.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 pm

ONLY 4 DAYS LEFT.........THEN WHAT????   [:D]
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I went out for a walk on the 5th and was walking and making a good amount of noise and suddenly I see a deer feeding in the woods 30 yards away.  It turned out to be a buck fawn and he had no idea I was there.  I leaned up against a tree and about a minute later a doe fawn came in and milled around for awhile and then walked off.  I started walking ever so slowly and the buck fawn knew I was there but didn't take off.  I then saw a doe bedded down near the buck fawn and she saw me and took off running.  I went and got a couple cameras and found that we still have a big buck around and that 2 bucks have completely shed. 

Hunted tonight the 6th and never saw a deer.
Scott

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Went out this afternoon for a hunt in a transition area between a bedding area and a feeding area. Saw a fawn walking in, but other than that it was pretty slow. Also, saw about 10-15 turkeys. Only 3 days left... will probably head out again on Saturday in search of a big boy!
Kyle

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin