WI 2010 Hunting Journal

SCHINK

RE: 2010 WI Hunting Journal

Postby SCHINK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 am

Went out yesterday afternnoon and nothing.......only 2 1/2 days left....I'm not counting Sunday afternoon because I THINK I HAVE PLANS....GO PACK  [:D] 
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Went out for a walk yesterday afternoon and never did see a deer. I checked my camera and got 2 studs along with 1 smaller buck and a shed buck. I might go out this afternoon a bit before the game, but otherwise those bucks look pretty safe until this upcoming hunting season!
Kyle

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Went out today for one final walk of the season. Did not see a deer, but was good to get out there and think about everything that transpired this season. Time to start getting ready for next year! Shed hunting is on deck.
Kyle

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 am

Well, I havn't been on for a while, but I thought I'd let everyone know how my season shaped up. This is the first year since my first year hunting that I didn't get a deer. I can't really blame anyone though. I had plenty of opportunities, but I had higher standards for bucks and didn't want to shoot any does on the two properties I hunt. We had some successful drives however. On Thanksgiving day my buddies dad shot an awesome buck with a kicker off of his g2, and my other buddy got a doe as well on that drive. During the holiday hunt we ended up shooting 5 deer in one day of driving. I finished off a small buck for my buddies dad (he wasn't supposed to shoot it, but he hasn't shot a deer in a while, so we're not gonna cry about it) and another guy got his first buck ever. That was during the first drive, then on the last drive we got two does and another small buck on public land. There were deer everywhere and as ashamed as I am to admit it, I made the biggest mistake...... I forgot to put my clip in my gun. I didn't realize it until I had a doe at 40 yards and I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. There I said it. Now all I can do is wait for next year. Possibly even funnier than my little episode was the fact that as my buddy and I went to go post up for the drive, his legs started cramping up so bad he fell over at least 3 times. Guess thats what happens when you push all day and get dehydrated.... Hope everyone had a fun and successful year.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:32 pm

hunt4fun: congrats on getting those deer.  They should be good eating!!

Took a walk around our property looking to see where the deer are and also to check 3 of our cameras.  All but 2 of the bucks we got on camera have full racks and the 2 bucks that have shed, shed out about 2 weeks ago.  They seem to be hitting the fields pretty hard and with all the snow we just got, it can't be any easier for them. 
Scott

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Was able to get out and do a little bit of shed hunting on our property and neighbors property and found what no hunter wants to find, a dead young buck with lots of potential.  He was a main frame 8 pointer that had 2 kickers coming off his base.  We weren't able to tell what he died of exactly but he did have a broken right foot that had the bone sticking out.  His body also appeared pretty small too so.  He broke off half of his rack and the squirrels had chewed alot of the side that was still there.  I think he's been dead awhile because when we found him, his head was completely covered with snow.  

Scott

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Found my first sheds December 28 then haven't found any since but haven't had much time to get out. The sheds were a set to a big eight with a funky right side. He has a massive four point left side and a big heavy fork with some stickers on the right. Deep snow has made it tough.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Well BWB and I were out over the weekend moving stands and we were driving in our pasture to a stand when all of the sudden he slams on the breaks and starts screaming and yelling.  At first I couldn't figure out what was going on but then I see him bend down and pick up an antler!  He was so excited he couldn't even speak!  It's actually a busted off main beam from a buck we have never seen before.  The shed scored 45 inches and that's missing part of the beam and brow tine.  The antler has some good mass on it.  This was his first shed too.

Scott

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Nice find. Looks like you have a phantom buck roaming the land.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm

awesome looking shed!

can't wait to get out there to start turning some dirt!
QDM!

Previous

Return to Wisconsin