Deer Czar Recommendations?

Dan Salmon

Re: Deer Czar Recommendations?

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 pm

The other thing you could do is start turkey like deer seasons when you would normally start the archery season and alternate weekly Gun and Archery seasons through the end of December. Alternate the first week gun/archery each year so no one can say the other is getting preference. Allow preference points to be bought for the drawings of seasons. Give landowners the opportunity to hunt any season they want as long as it is with the correct weapon. This opens the chance to hunting the rut to gun hunters, bow hunters still have a long season, landowners are given the choice of what season and weapons they can use and you are spreading out the pressure on the deer on public land over a three month time span.

Or you could do like Michigan and open the season every year on Nov. 15th and close it on Nov. 30th. Let bow hunters hunt through the gun season. This would keep the tradition of Deer Camps alive while alleviating some of the pressure on public lands, but you'll get a hissy fit from the bow hunters because you're taking away too much the the precious time they've spent selling to legislators that they should be the only ones allowed to have lots of time to hunt deer.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 pm

written like a true anti bowhunter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I purchased my land in 98 or 99. It was close to where I recruited out of and is part of the hunting tradition of heading there with my family and parents. I can't say the land is the most ideal but it has produced some deer for us. I am going to be home in July and hope to make some changes to a few things by cutting some trees, trails, maybe plant some stuff as well. My Dad has shot a few deer with his bow. I think he had a streak of about 13 or 14 in a row in the 70's and 80's. A few bucks and mostly does but that was when you had 1 tag, either sex, for bow season. That's where I think the herd took off in the 90's because some folks weren't shooting many or any deer.

I was also a member of WBH before I joined the service. I still bowhunt but only in the state I am stationed at. I have switched my attitude about bow or gun hunting. Bowhunting is my "fun" time, a chance to get in the woods, see some deer, and hopefully get a shot. Gun season is a little more important because now I have a family to feed. To me, hunting is still a source to provide meat much like it was up through the 80's and maybe even 90's. I think too many are getting obsessed with how big a deer is.

My in-laws farm is a good example. There are group of guys and gals, maybe 5 or 6 total, that hunt there and have for about the past 20-25 years or longer. They bow and gun hunt. A couple of the gentlemen usually hold out for bucks but one of the wives shot a spike, 7 pt and doe on opening day about 8 years ago. And one of the daughters shot 3 bucks in a span of about 2 hours in 2010!!!! I shot a 4 pt in 2008 and you would have thought I kicked their dog because they, "passed him up several times during the season." Maybe I cut that buck's life down at an early age but I have 3 kids and a wife to feed so that is why any deer I have a chance at, I'm taking it. I hunt for the meat, antlers are just a bonus.

Last year I shot a nice doe in the morning and missed (too many) as well. I think a herd of about 7 or 8 came in and I got one. I was happy because my 2 of my nieces, a nephew, and my oldest son came to help me drag her out. That afternoon they went out with me for the last couple hours of the day. We drove down in a UTV, parked behind a brush pile, walked up on top of a mound by the pond where I sat that morning, and we waited. Well they were a little restless after the first hour but not unusual for 7 to 11 year olds. At about 4:00 I spotted a deer, took a couple shots (misses), walked out to look for blood, kicked it back up and put it down. A small doe but a memory I will always cherish.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:24 pm

You're probably right, I am the exception. I do like some of the ideas. Creating a draw system on public lands is similar to what they do down south - it works. Spreading out the seasons, different tags I think is directionally correct.

I am with you on the kids. Last year I am very proud to say 3 young boys shot there first deer on my farm. We got a spike, 4pts and 4 does. One is helping me plant trees this spring as thanks. This year I have 3 more already lined up for youth weekend. On Sunday of opening weekend I had a 14 year old shoot his first deer ever and he shot 3 does off my lap. An experience I never will forget. My neighbors didnt like it because they dont think there are enough deer around!!!!!! The only reason I didnt shoot mores is three is all that fit on the car carrier and it is such a waste of time registering deer I didnt want to make two trips and take away from time in the woods.

My guess is the deer czar will not address baiting/feeding but who knows. I just see him on tv endorsing it in TX.

Thanks by the way for your service to the country.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Figured you'd take it that way, It's called equal opportunity regardless of choice of weapon.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 pm

LOL at equal opportunity. Since you dont bowhunt, it is transperant as simply wanting to put gun hunters first and you dont care about bowhunters.
That has been your over riding message as long as you have been here. You are not excluded from bowhunting. You choose not to participate. That is your fault. IF you want to go first, pick up a bow, practice a lot and then give it a try. Its easy when you dont participate in a sport to say "Screw them, I'm a gun hunter and I want to go first" since it has no negative effect on a sport you enjoy. In fact, it advances a sport you enjoy and would negatively impact a sport you dislike (sort of a win-win for you eh?). I'll clue you in. It will never (and yes, I know never is a long time) happen. ;)

There will equal opportunity when bowhunters are able to kill deer at 400 yards or gun hunters are limited to only shots 50 yards and less and when bowhunters have group bagging or group bagging is taken from gun hunters.
Last edited by retch sweeny on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 pm

You simply hear and see what you want to. Whatever Retch, I'm growing tired of you and your incessant blather.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Bullwinkle - That is some good stuff!!!! Hopefully they stick to hunting. I am hoping my boys can hunt with my Dad so we can have 3 generations in the woods.

Not sure on the bait. I think it's okay, brought in some deer on my woods and got some photos from an old trail camera. You know, the kind that uses film before the digital stuff. Almost had a doe and spike buck with my bow but bad treestand placement.

I do like the registration part because you have to show what you shot and also gives you a chance to see what others have got. Even when it's not a good day hunting it is nice to stop by and see what others got.

One other thing that could be addressed are the bears/coyote/wolf issues in the north. I'm not in the state but I hear that is a whole different subject.

Thanks for the thanks too!

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:34 am

"whatever" is what people say when they have been exposed and their quiver of valid points is empty.

P.S. a quiver is what we bowhunters put our arrows in"

As to growing tired, I must confess, I reached that threshold with you over a year ago. I can spot an anti-bowhunter from a mile away but you came complete with wistles and sirens announcing that you are a bowhunting hater. That is part of the reason I dont value your opinion and find you incredibly uninteresting.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm

It's a losing battle fighting or bickering with a know-it-all, so I concede. You're much more valuable to this site by providing the information you do than offering your infinite wisdom.

As The Rock says "Know your role..."

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin