Wisconsin passes its crossbow bill

retch sweeny

Wisconsin passes its crossbow bill

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:02 pm

AB-384 (The crossbow bill) just passed the WI senate on a unanimous voice vote. The bill now goes onto the Governor for signing. Beginning this fall, all resident and non-resident hunters will be able to use a crossbow to hunt deer, bear, turkey, small game, predators and rough fish (every huntable species) in WI without having to be 65 and older or handicapped. Thanks to everybody that played a role in passage of this outstanding bill. The organizations that testified in support of the bill to aid its passage and to put this matter to bed in WI are:

The Wisconsin Crossbow Federation

The Wisconsin Bowhunters Association

Wisconsin Traditional archers

Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association

Wisconsin Wildlife Federation

Wisconsin Conservation Congress

WI chapters of Safari Club International

Grant County sportsman’s alliance

Game Getters Sportsmen’s club

Dairyland cooperative

Coulee archers

Bigfoot archers Inc.

Wisconsin State Cranberry Growers Association

Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers Association

Wisconsin Pork Association

And many many many Wisconsin Sportsmen that called, sent emails or testified in support of this fine legislation. Talk about a joint effort by a wide range of stakeholders. WOW!

Now that this is settled its onto matters of importance and how to address deer management in the state. :D

wurzgj01

Re: Wisconsin passes its crossbow bill

Postby wurzgj01 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Reading your statement is a bit confusing. Are saying that crossbows will be soon legal to use to harvest whitetail deer during all deer hunting seasons (archery and gun)?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

No, every season but the one that would make the most sense to be included in.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 pm

wurzgj01 wrote:Reading your statement is a bit confusing. Are saying that crossbows will be soon legal to use to harvest whitetail deer during all deer hunting seasons (archery and gun)?

The crossbow will now be allowed to hunt all of Wisconsin's huntable species including deer. In the archery deer season, crossbows will be allowed for the elderly and the disabled. The crossbow will be allwoed for all persons hunting deer during the many WI gun deer seasons. The crossbow will be allowed for all persons regardless of age or abilty in the bear, turkey, small game, predator, wolf and rough fish season. No onto important matters effcting hunters in WI.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 am

"In the archery deer season, crossbows will be allowed for the elderly and the disabled. The crossbow will be allwoed for all persons hunting deer during the many WI gun deer seasons. The crossbow will be allowed for all persons regardless of age or abilty in the bear, turkey, small game, predator, wolf and rough fish season."

Sorry Retch, I'm also not following this exactly... I understand anybody can use a crossbow for deer and all other whatevers during gun season.

Do you still have to be 65 and older or disabled to use a crossbow during the regular archery season?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 pm

"Do you still have to be 65 and older or disabled to use a crossbow during the regular archery season?"

Yes.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 pm

thanks.. that makes sense.

Here's a question: If you can use a crossbow during gun seasons, would it be legal to go out with your crossbow AND your gun? That way if you had a chance at an up close shot you could use the crossbow and conceivably not spook every deer close to you... At the same time, if you had an opportunity at a nice deer at longer ranges, you'd have the reach of the firearm.

Any idea what the law says about that? I'm pretty sure that in IL you can only have 1 weapon at a time. Example: We have an overlap of bow season and a muzzleloader season... but if you bowhunt during this time you have to wear orange, and I'm pretty sure you can only have 1 or the other in the stand with you at the same time... doesn't make sense to me.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm

For the most accurate answer to that, you would be best served by contacting the WI DNR.

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm

One thing about contacting the DNR. dont try to use the online chat option to ask a question. Last year i tried to ask if i had a concealed carry permit would it be legal for me to carry a handgun for protection while bowhunting. DNR rep referred me to the page(s) in the hunting regs covering bow hunting. when i pointed out that the regs didnt address this issue, i was once again told to refer to the page(s) in the regs covering bowhunting. hope they arent spending too much license money to fund that fiasco.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:51 am

deojee1414 wrote:One thing about contacting the DNR. dont try to use the online chat option to ask a question. Last year i tried to ask if i had a concealed carry permit would it be legal for me to carry a handgun for protection while bowhunting. DNR rep referred me to the page(s) in the hunting regs covering bow hunting. when i pointed out that the regs didnt address this issue, i was once again told to refer to the page(s) in the regs covering bowhunting. hope they arent spending too much license money to fund that fiasco.

To clarify your question if you haven't had it answered. Yes, you can carry a sidearm in a holster without a permit while hunting, or if you have a conceal and carry permit, you may store it concealed also...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Wisconsin