Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

buckhunter21

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Gafrage wrote:
buckhunter21 wrote:i'm getting married next saturday, so unless i can find some time to get out during the week i prob won't be out for a couple weeks!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Didn't you get these things OK'd already ;)

ha. still working on them!
QDM!

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:24 am

Went out Tuesday and Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Didnt see a thing. Wednesday night I had 7 toms walk in front of my stand all in a line, but no deer. The wind was brutal and nonstop all three days, so im sure the deer werent moving that much. Swirling winds probably mess with a deer's ability to scent things, so I wouldnt be suprised if they dont move much at all during really windy days. Goin back out saturday night though.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:33 pm

My son and I have been heading up to the property near Necedah since mid-Septemeber. We've both been seeing deer on the turnip plots almost every sit and get quite a few doe/fawn pictures every week. We've each had opportunities but only one shot really presented itself on 9/29 when my son missed a buck at 18 yards. It happens.

I had a shot opportunity the next morning off a different plot when the big doe was 28 yards and quartered away. Her two fawns were both feeding and facing my direction, so I never chanced a draw. Eventually they fed off and I never got another chance.

On the morning of 10/6, my son couldn't decide which stand, so dad decided. I took the shortest walk from the trailer (I'm old, what can I say??). At 6:45 a "deer" wandered out onto the turnips at about 45 yards. It was cloudy Saturday and the light was slow to come. And for me, I always have a hard time sizing up a single baldy. I definately do not want to shoot a nubbie and I wasn't sure.

Eventually she fed off to my right and walked slighly into the woods. That's when I saw the fawn now eating where momma first was standing. My brain went, "Little deer feeding, momma in da woods!!" Lo and behold, she walked back to the field and when she turned to look at her fawn, I drew, aimed and shot. At 15 yards, broadside I was a bit high and spined her. She went straight back and down. In two seconds I nocked another broadhead and dispatched her instantly.

At 7:05 I texted my son that freezer meat was down!

The doe (we believe) is the daughter of the "big doe" that we have on camera a lot. Big momma has two fawns, a buck and doe fawn. The nubbie is as big as big momma already. This doe I shot, hangs around with big momma a lot and we have pictures of her and her doe fawn and pictures of her, her fawn and big momma's family. One trail cam pic we have there are 7 baldies in the field, so we think big momma is the matriarch and she has daughters who have fawns, too.

Good doe, good weight; she'll make good burger for the freezer.

Out of state this weekend, then back up to Necedah the 20th.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Congrats. Does taste better anyhow. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:43 pm

I went out last night, oct.11 was only sitting 15 min and had 6 deer come in. they walked right down the trail where I wanted them to I picked out the biggest doe and she stopped perfect in my shooting lane I drew my bow and let the arrow fly, I saw her buckle up and run off as did the other deer. I watched her run about 70 yards and lost her in the brush. I knew I had made a bad shot I must have pulled it or something but it was not good. about 5 minutes later the other deer came back in. I was so upset with my shot that I didn't even nock another arrow . i took my phone out and recorded them milling around. after they wanderd off I waited even longer. got down checked my arrow and backed out, I went home told the wife . called a friend over and got a bite to eat. we went back out and searched but only found very little blood and no deer. I was and still am sick to my stomach for not making a better shot and also what the deer is going through, a sad time from the woods

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 pm

That sucks bouhunter. Get back in there and knock one down the next time. I had one get away from me last week. It was a bad hit too. It seems many other hunters are losing deer on the blood path this season. I went this afternoon on public land. The wind was out of the south and did not play in my favor at all, so I decided to poke around and do a little scouting instead. I found some decent areas to set up on toward the end of the month into November when the bucks start to cruise. Most of the corn in the area is cut down too, which is good. Rain tomorrow, then I might get out again Sunday. Congrats on your kill Umpiremark...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:27 am

I love D&DH forums! Its great to see what oher people are experiencing and learn from their experiences. Glad to be back!

I went out last weekend with my nephew. He was a first time hunter last year for gun season. Last weekend was his first time bow hunting. We had a couple encounters with a few does. He loved it. Its good to have a hunting partner. Ive hunted solo for 13 years.

Rain all day tomorrow (Sat) so next time out will be Sunday after church for an evening sit. I am going to bring my 6 year old daugter for her first hunt. The plan is to poke around the woods for a while and then set a pop up blind next to a pond. The hope is to have the water draw in critters to keep her interested. We are both super excited!

Good luck all...
Semper Fidelis!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:15 am

I went to some public land yesterday afternoon. Set around 2:30 until last light. Didn't see a thing until I was coming down the tree to leave. Im surprised they didn't notice me before I seen them. Doe and yearling about 50 yards downwind heading into the cornfield behind me. They caught my scent stream and turned around and went back where they came from. Nothing bad about it. I wouldn't been able to get a shot anyways. Seen a ton of deer hitting cut corn fields on the way home though.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I went out Friday night and saw seven deer. Six does and fawns and one basket racked 8 point that came in on a trail that was 6 ft from my tree. It was cool to see him get that close and not know I was there. I wish I could've went out Saturday evening too but I had other things going on so I had to wait til Sunday evening. I took a young friend of mine (13 years old) out on his first bow hunt ever! We sat in one of my best spots in hopes that he could get that 8 point I seen on Friday. After sitting there for about an hour we had two fawns come in put they stayed out of range. Then I looked to the South, where the deer usually come from, and sure enough I saw the little 8 point coming our way. I told him to get ready for a shot but the buck ended up seeing the fawns and followed them into the nearby cornfield. So close but yet, so far, as they say ;) hopefully next time we get out there he'll come in for a shot. I won't be able to get out for the next week or so, so good luck to everyone out there! Hunt safe as always!
Addicted to hunting!!

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 pm

went up to mauston sunday. checked a camera and put up another, checked stands and moved one up on top of the ridge. got pretty wet out there but it was a good day, saw some scrapes and rubs too.I am probably going to hunt tomorrow afternoon over by portage, I see they took all the beans off but the corn is still standing. I am going to get out and try it again, hopefully they will be on there feet before dark. good luck everyone and be safe

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin