Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Rancid Sweeny

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 am

Saturday night’s hunt video. I’m still working out sound issues but it was so windy that all the camera picked up was the whistling of wind past the mike anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGOx2WSNInI
Formerly Retch Sweeny

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 am

Jslotter wrote:Usually Goose starts this, but I haven't seen that guy here in a long time. Post your 2012 deer hunting stories and pics here. Good luck to all of you! Stay safe and have fun this year...

I've been gone for a while too! LOL Should we have a separate thread for pics? We have in the past.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am

I made a new thread for harvest pictures. I think this will make it easier if we keep it separate from hunting reports.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=33471
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

So where is everyone seeing deer right now? Was just able to get out for the first time this past weekend since I was in a wedding on opening weekend....and yes, my buddy isn't a hunter, obviously. LOL

But, I went down to my honey hole Saturday night. This is an area where I consistently see deer. I have a couple strips of corn, beans (eagle beans and ag beans), and clover. Perfect right? Got skunked Saturday night, and went there again Sunday night and had three does in front of me. Saturday was the first time I've been skunked on that set in two years. Where are the deer now....Acorns?
QDM!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Welcome back Buckhunter21. I was gonna FB you and wonder if you were ever going to come back and join in this year... Last weekend, I saw deer hanging out in standing corn, and had an encounter with a small buck walking down a trail running parallel with the edge of a field. I had a feeling it was a buck trail. Jeff taught me to watch out for those run ways and I set up on one. So far so good. Acorns seem non-existent in the areas I hunted, unless they dropped way early. I didn't even hear any drop the last two weekends while in the woods. My buddy who hunts near Neillsville been saying the acorn crop in that area is phenomenal, and the deer have been gorging on acorns like crazy. I found an awesome bedding area yesterday on the edge of a swamp on public land. Its inside a woodlot with many trails going in ever direction imaginable. The bed was located on top of a small berm. I did bump a deer out of there when I got close. I couldn't see if it was a buck or not. I suspect it could be a buck bed, but did not see any rubs near it. There are white belly hairs all over the bed too. I did not find any straight trees in that immediate area for my climber, but I did find some about 100 yards to the west of the area. I think this set up will work well in a NW or south wind during the rut. Here is the pic. Blue arrow is where the bed is.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Congrats to the lucky young hunter. Good first bow buck!

I went out last night and wasn't going to shoot a doe becuase I had to work this morning, so guess what I saw? Does! Isn't it funny how hunting can go sometimes. Maybe this coming weekend I'll get my doe. I ended up seeing 2 does and 3 fawns all early and within shooting distance. Right at dark a coyote came running by and I tried to stop him for a shot but he didn't want the RAGE treatment yet I guess ;) next time! Good luck to everyone going out this week. Hunt safe
Addicted to hunting!!

rod953

Postby rod953 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

went out for first time last weekend. had a 4pt and a 6pt hang around me for about 45 minutes till they bedded down 100 yards away in the marsh. got to practice drawing and moving around stand on some live deer, so that got my confidence up! saw 1 mature 8pt in the alfalfa about 200 yards away. had a couple does come close but not close enough. can't wait to go out next weekend. i hunt in trempleau county and whats left of the acorns on my farm are already cleaned up, all the deer i seen were headed to the crp or alfalfa feilds

Rancid Sweeny

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Sunday morning's hunt including a sparing match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWK1Q-lii0
Formerly Retch Sweeny

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Congratulations to your nephew Rancid. Cool to see the young bloods filling tags.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

colomabuck

Postby colomabuck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Anyone know what happen to Goose? I miss his insight since we both hunted Waushara County!
Been out twice and got a doe my 2nd night. Not seeing many bucks on my cameras, but alot of doe's with twins and couple triplets.
j

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin