A topic for discussions

Dan Salmon

Re: A topic for discussions

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 pm

A twist to my original theme ... is a planted food plot any different (in effect and in practice) of a "spinner" type game feeder?

To my way of thinking, no, there is no difference. They are both artificially placed with the intent to draw in game animals.

I don't have a long and drawn out dissertation about the subtle nuances of why this is and that isn't different.

In my mind, it is an unfair and unsporting way of hunting.

You can't, by federal law, hunt waterfowl over bait, but you can hunt them in a picked crop field. Why should it be deemed okay to hunt deer with bait? Hunt them to your hearts content over a picked cornfield.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:54 am

Wrap your mind around this... the IL DNR made a statement this year concerning hunting waterfowl in picked fields.... while it is completely legal to hunt around picked crop fields (i think the term is something like, normal agricultural processes), this year many farmers were cutting corn for silage due to the low yields with the drought and all. Because cutting a corn field for silage is not a "usual practice", it would be illegal to hunt a field you hunt every season if they cut it for silage and left grain on the ground. It would only be legal to hunt it after it had been plowed to bury any loose grain. There was also a reminder that if there is any appreciable rain after the plowing, it is quite possible that some of that grain could be uncovered, thus causing the field to be illegal to hunt over again.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 pm

In my opinion, that is a terrible interpretation of the law.

Farmers most certainly cut silage as a normal farming practice.

It sounds like a concerted effort to gain more money for the state coffers.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin