Hunting shows-hunting over food plots

hot tamale

Hunting shows-hunting over food plots

Postby hot tamale » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am

I have been getting the juices flowing again and started watching some of the deer hunting shows on TV.
These shows are supposed to show experts in the field harvesting big bucks using wit, smarts and show us how to also be successful in the field.
Almost every show has some guy who gets into a blind over some type of planted crop and shoots whatever deer he wants to. Then high fives the camera man as if he has just accomplished some magnificent feat of outdoorsmanship. I have a problem with this-does anybody else?

I dont mind that people bait or plant food plots if that is what they know, but for the love of God-dont make it sound as if you did anything spectacular!
you've given deer the nutrients they needed to grow big racks, you've kept them coming to your food plots instead of your neighbors because of the buffet selection you offer and then claim you have hunted sooooo hard and outwitted a large wily buck on his terms. these people have done no such thing.

Are there any shows that show a guy scouting, setting up over trails etc? maybe a guy that stalk hunts? I am just curious. This is the stuff I would like to see and learn from these people. I know the show would not have big sponsors like Antler King or what ever other crop plantings they have sponsors for.
does anyone else feel somewhat like i do?
Once again--I am not bashing what others do-I am just searching for a more pure tv show/way of hunting deer than over food plots.
tell you the truth, I cannot find a decent book on how to hunt deer that has been written after 1995. I have also been looking for instructional videos as well and they are all about megga bucks and whitetail slam #'s 1-21.
I am part of a group that mentors youth and would love some type of show/book/DVD that can help aid in the teaching of deer hunting.
with the TV shows I mention above, they are not teaching anything really and give unrealistic views of what to expect in the deer woods for beginner hunters.
I've been mentoring kids for about 15 years now and because of the shows and videos available like i mentioned, these kids expect to see big deer behind every tree and get easily upset when they dont see that in the deer woods. kids now days need instant gratification because that is how they have been brought up. if a kid isnt successful right away, the tend to give up easily. I think this is a large part of losing hunters to the TV and nintendo systems. they have instant gratification.
any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
good luck to all hunters this fall, please be save and take a kid hunting!!!!

kellory

Re: Hunting shows-hunting over food plots

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:39 am

You might start with a movie like "Jeremiah Johnson," . with a old mountain man teaching a novice. Let the kids see how someone else is taught.. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeah Jerimiah is an oldie but goodie. but you know what i mean-something that will show how to field dress an animal, how to track, trail, set up, etc.
there really isnt anything out there that is somewhat new.
it's all about the grand slam of deer and huge bruisers. maybe i'll make my own with a web blog or something.
I'll just do little segments about different subjects.
if i'd ask other people to do the same, do you think they would send their videos to put up in a blog?

any takers out there?

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Im not a fan of the hunting TV shows and never watch them. You are right, they do make it look easy. There are a few online hunting webshows I do frequent for a little bit of info every now and then, but even those sites are trying to preach all this crap that you should hunt like they do and use the equipment they have because some big name companies are paying for the show and giving those guys free stuff to use on their show. The guys from Whitetail Adrenaline are about as close to reality you are gonna get when it comes to do-it-yourself style of hunting show. No endorsements or advertising. Just pure hunting on public and MFL lands in the midwest. Kids are not into outdoors anymore. Thats the way it is. If they don't want to hunt because they don't see deer then ok, stay home. This kinda thing needs to taught to them at an early age and let the passion grow in them. Some parents do not share the emotional rewards to a successful hunt with their kids either. With the current standards of our education system, our kids are being led to believe that no one fails. And when they do, its not their fault and they should quit trying.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Start looking through Youtube. There is all kind of stuff there.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

ohiomossyoak

Postby ohiomossyoak » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 pm

I come home with a honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place.It makes no difference whether i got anything.It has to do with how the day was spent

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Before Tred Barta became wheelchair bound he had one of the best hunting shows in my opinion. He would hunt everything "fair chase" while most of the time using a long bow with home made arrows. Pretty impressive.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am

For the past 10-12 years, my son and I have hunted every weekend up at the property near Necedah. Our friend's place is just a 10x60 mobile home, crudely outfitted, on 120 acres. We have electricity but no way to pull in TV. So for all these years, I've been bringing up a TV with a DVD player in it so we could at least watch DVD's. We started buying the Drury Outdoors hunting tapes/DVD's. In the early seasons - 2001, 2, 3, 4, etc., they hunted like "normal." in the woods, describing how they found rub lines and scrapes and hunted the moon phase. They even dedicated one full season of a DVD to how to - and where to - hang stands, "Hang to Kill." Because they owned 100's of acres, yes they shot big bucks.

Then, like the tides quickly changed. They started buying more farms and planting bigger plots. Food became the focus hunting ground and seldom - if ever - 10, 11 years later, do you ever see them hunting in the woods. They now have 100 acre bean fields, 50, 60 acre brassicas/green fields. They build box blinds on the field edges and hunt in underwear and heaters. They hunt on 1,000's of private farms they own and maybe shoot 10-15 old, old bucks, total from each farm. But each farm has 100's if not more deer in each field in a lot of shots. The big business of "farming for deer" has taken over the Kisky's, Drury's, Lakoskis and all the big "hunting" (tongue in cheek) shows. And they are all driven by the food plot companies. Sponsored by Mossey Oak ... Evolved Harvest ... Whitetail institute. Bigger food plots is the hunting method of choice.

And to the O.P. that started this thread ... I too laugh out loud when a Drury team member or one of the Lakosky's or many others, slumps down in a heated box blind (in their socks) and whines about how "HARD" they've been hunting for that giant ... while passing up maybe 20-30 other deer on their deer farms.

It's not hunting to me anymore and I'm buying a strong antenea and stop buying the DVD's. It was fun when they did hunt and added some skill to the shows. Now, buy a farm turn it into food and farm for deer. "Bang!!" Shoot in a crowd of 40 deer and take the biggest boy. Wow, that was hard!!
Last edited by umpiremark on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Couldn't agree more. I basically don't watch any of the "hunting" shows because they don't do any hunting. The shows are more about agriculture than hunting deer. Also agree about the Drurys. 10-15 yrs ago they put out some educational videos, now it's just "plant this product and wait for the biggest buck to show up". I guess that's what people want though because they're all the same.

rosonj07

Postby rosonj07 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Midwestwhitetail.com with Bill Winke on the web is far and away the best most realistic hunting show out there today! Check it out

Next

Return to Wisconsin