Mechanical Broadhead fail

Jimbo

Mechanical Broadhead fail

Postby Jimbo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 am

Reposting here a thread I posted in general discussions. Want some feedback from my Wisconsin friends.

Yesterday afternoon I hit a mature 8 pointer. It was a 10 yard shot from my treestand. Hit him dead center lungs, on his right side. My arrow only appeared to go in part way. He ran off and I gave him 90 minutes. I was hoping my arrow had gone all the way through, hit the opposite shoulder, and came back out.

I picked up the blood and found my arrow about 75 yards from my stand. The G5 T3 broadhead failed to open. From blood on the arrow it looks like it penetrated 8 to 10 inches. This should result in one punctured lung for sure, right?

Because of the high entry hole and no exit hole, there was very little blood. I tracked him for another 75 yards or so and lost blood and daylight.

I suspect he traveled downhill into a creek bottom. Heading out this morning to search.

What are your thoughts? I know bucks can live a long time with one lung. I assume the buck will die, and is probably already dead.
Have you ever had a mechanical broadhead not deploy?

Thanks,

Jimbo

Jslotter

Re: Mechanical Broadhead fail

Postby Jslotter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 am

Before I read your story, I was thinking G5 T3. I had a similar issue last season on a buck I killed with a T3. Luckily it stuck into the opposite side shoulder blade or I would have lost the deer. The blades didn't deploy. I eventually had to put two arrows into the buck to kill him. I don't use them anymore
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 am

We are about to "force" all bow hunters to use fixed blade broad heads on our land. We have far too many unrecoverable bow shot deer with
"mechanical" hunting tips. Rage broadheads seemed to be, well the rage. When they work, the holes are impressive, although penetration
has not been impressive. When they don't, we have lost deer. In some cases we find them well after the coyotes have stripped the carcasses,
in others, we see walking wounded deer.

I don't bow hunt, but the rest of our deer camp does. The 3 blade Muzzy seems to get better results, which makes this deer camp owner/partner
much happier. I get grumpy when I hear another wounded deer has been lost. This year it was a doe, and last year it was two nice bucks.

Deerbeans

eaglea1

Postby eaglea1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:53 pm

My first post here, and glad to be part of D&DH. I have been using mechanicals for some time now, and have enjoyed
good success with them. Every deer I have hit, have collasped within 50-75yds.
I am using the NAP spitfire edge and my son uses the Grim Reaper razor tip

Retch Crabtree

Postby Retch Crabtree » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Jimbo wrote: Want some feedback from my Wisconsin friends.

Be careful what you ask for.

Jimbo wrote: Yesterday afternoon I hit a mature 8 pointer. It was a 10 yard shot from my treestand. Hit him dead center lungs, on his right side.

Right away Im skeptical. Unless you are at ground level, you did not hit it in the center of the lungs let alone dead center. At 10 yards from your tree and with you up perhaps 15 feet, that is a very steep angle and you might only get one lung. Your sight picture would be looking down at the top of the back. (not the dead center of the lungs)

Jimbo wrote: I picked up the blood and found my arrow about 75 yards from my stand. The G5 T3 broadhead failed to open.

Explain how you could tell “failed to open” vs open and then in a different position after striking the deer?

Jimbo wrote: From blood on the arrow it looks like it penetrated 8 to 10 inches. This should result in one punctured lung for sure, right?

From that steep angle (not dead center in the lungs) you most likely got only one lung which will not kill a deer.

Jimbo wrote: Because of the high entry hole and no exit hole, there was very little blood. I tracked him for another 75 yards or so and lost blood and daylight.

This makes sense and tells me you did not hit dead center lungs.

Jimbo wrote: What are your thoughts?

That you made a bad hit, didn’t hit were you thought you hit and are looking to blame the head rather than yourself. Not an attack. You did ask for our thoughts and that’s what I think.

Jimbo wrote: Have you ever had a mechanical broadhead not deploy?
[/quote]

Never and I suspect you have not either. Proper shot placement is key. Don’t blame the head. The right hit (comes from a skilled archer) would have killed the deer with any head on the market.) How many pounds are you shooting that you could not pass an arrow through a deer only 10 yards away?

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Can you answer anyone without humiliating them? I mean on this forum, this hunter was obviously distraught at the hit, miss, no recover and felt bad enough. He looked to this forum for some guidance, help, consolation. You on the other hand ...

"Don’t blame the head. The right hit (comes from a skilled archer) would have killed the deer with any head on the market."

Thank you for your kindness and consideration. Assuming 15 feet high, a ten yard shot produces a downward angle at 30 feet of just over 26 degrees, not vertically down on the deer as you suggest. Hitting the off shoulder, a rib or whatever caused the poor penetration and lack of blood NO ONE (not even you, God) would know unless the animal was recovered. So back off, Mr. Wonderful. And I for one feel bad for the OP as he feels bad for the results.

But Retch, stand proud that you made the situation better with your humiliating post. You've been booted out of here - Retch Sweeney, Retch Crabtree, John WBH politico, whoever you want to be - so many times, what's one more time, right?
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Im not doubting Jimbo's story or skill as a hunter, but Rancid's questions were somewhat legitimate. Not taking sides to no one, but in this case, you gotta consider all angles of the situation.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Retch Crabtree

Postby Retch Crabtree » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:50 pm

jslotter, yes, I am a linear thinker and the data just doesnt add up. The super majority of the time, its the man, not the gear but its easy to want to blame the gear. Watching mark get all animated and furious and upset over the interweb is pretty funny though. :lol: :lol:

windsor

Postby windsor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am

I had a rage not open on me last year. It was a bad shot that had deflected off a branch and hit the paunch. When I recovered the arrow, the blades were still snuggly tucked into the o-ring. Needless to say, I did not recover that deer. Since I do not like to waste money, nor deer, I have since changed strategy with these broadheads. I set up a stand that gives me less than 15yd shots. I then open the rage, remove the o-ring and tape the blades in the open position so they cannot slide forward. This set up killed 4 doe this season, 2 with the same rage. The longest track job was 75 yds and 5 minutes. The other 3 all expired where I could see them, 20-30yds before piling up.

also, i make sure the rage is in the vertical position so it has the best chance of penetrating the deer without hitting ribs. I achieved that with one of the deer. the other 3 i hit bone at some point, but my 550gr arrow slammed it through for full pass thru's on every shot.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 am

sounds like a good way to avoid a non-opening mechanical... I think I'd be more likely to sell the Rages to someone who likes them and use the money to buy a fixed blade head, since that's basically what you're using. (I understand the not wanting to waste money, the only reason I've never shot a Rage is because of the cost)

As far as positioning the blades vertically goes... I'd say that wouldn't actually matter at all one way or the other...the arrow begins spinning immediately upon release from the bow, so the position of the blades with respect to being vertical or not would depend on the exact speed your arrow spins as well as the distance between the bow and the target... Which is why we as bowhunters rely on the ability of the arrow and broadhead to break through the ribs...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Next

Return to Wisconsin