Mechanical Broadhead fail

unclebuck

Re: Mechanical Broadhead fail

Postby unclebuck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 am

Thats a good idea to set the arrow in the rest so the blades would be vertical. Not to say the arrow wont twist in the air but, still a good idea. I just have to ask Windsor if you tape your rages so they stay open why not just use a normal broadhead?

windsor

Postby windsor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 am

I did a little research on how arrows spin when coming off the bow. I thought they would start spinning right away, but depending on what kind of vane/fletching you are using and the speed of your arrow, the arrow can take up to 15yds to start rotation.

I bought a set of fixed broadheads from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. LOVE EM. Those are my long range broad heads, >20yds

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:56 pm

I guess that does make sense that the arrow would have a bit of delay to start to spin now that I think about it... the spin is a function of the helical twist to the vanes... basically they work the same as an airplane wing and create "lift" as the air passes over them... as long as they all create the lift in the same direction, the arrow will spin.... however, this force would need to overcome the inertia of the arrow which is not spinning while attached to the string...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Previous

Return to Wisconsin