Aging deer

bullwinkle

Aging deer

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 am

Very interesting article in last D&DH regarding antler forward growth and age. Looked through my pictures - seems like they are on to something. - except with tall or some none typical antlers

Anyone else look at this? Hoping they expand their work into pictorials to teach

Dan Salmon

Re: Aging deer

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:17 pm

I finally read this article.

I think that it has merit and is probably an easier way for the majority of hunters to be able to age a deer if they wanted to.

I just find it pretty hard to think that there are all that many people out there that really care about how old a deer is.

If that were the case, you'd see old deer on the covers of magazines, not necessarily big antlered bucks.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Most guys working on QDM or TDM are trying to shoot mature deer. I personally am Dan. I only have 3 mounts and this method validated two of them.

One I thought was a 2 year old aged at 3 with this method. I argued with myself over this one. He had a great rack but only weight 150lb dressed in Sept so I thought he was 2.5 year old

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Not trying to be argumentative with you Bullwinkle.

I agree, my big nine pointer was guessed at 3.5 based on antlers and body size, but the antlers would show to be 2.5 by this measure and I'd bet that had I gotten the teeth looked at, he's probably a 2.5 and would fit right into this chart.

I know several self-proclaimed QDM/TDM practitioners, that given the chance at a nice buck, won't turn it down regardless of how old they may think it is. What good is claiming to be a QDM/TDM guy if you can't show off some nice bucks that most guys will only ever have one chance at in their lives on public land. YMMV.

You may be different. I don't personally know you, but from the way you talk and the questions you ask, you seem to be of a different mold than the typical QDM/TDM guys I know and I say good for you if that's what turns the crank for you.

I like big antlers, but I like venison more. I shoot what is a trophy to me at that given time and place. Some pretty nice bucks have walked and some young bucks have fallen down for no particular reason. I don't claim to be a trophy hunter and don't own land, so trying to call myself a QDM guy is pretty futile. I would call myself an opportunist.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 pm

You and I are very similar Dan. I do own land and have been working my tail off to improve it but I will shoot bucks based on antlers vs age. I am interested in age though but more to get an understanding of the deer on my property. I have shot a lot of bucks in my life and have developed a piece of property that produces deer. I have yet to shot a monster. My biggest scored roughly 130". Opening day gun I passed 7 bucks waiting for something with some horns. If a 140" 2.5 year old would have showed itself, he would be at the taxidermist.

I did feel a little bad about that 9ptr I shot. He was about 115" and to think he was 2.5 years old I was not as proud showing him. This new way would say 3.5, I am walking a little taller and not feeling like I clipped a stud of a deer for the future. He was hanging out on my farm and was very visable

I agree we think a lot a like, surely we both love this sport for the right reasons

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Went through all my buck trail camera photos for the last two years. Was surprised. In general, I have a lot older deer than I thought. Bucks in the 110-130" range on my properties are 3.5 years old with this method and 140"+ takes 4+ years

Very interesting.

Return to Wisconsin