Count Down to Opening Day

ridgewalker

Count Down to Opening Day

Postby ridgewalker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Are you ready? Are you excited? Tell everyone about you deer camp. Just 6 days away. Staying in the southern part of the state to hunt with a rifle on my land. Never been able to before. I figure some good bucks are going to die because of the more liberal rifle rules. If the rule change had not been made, I would have headed to Vilas County. I was sick of throwing rocks at deer through a shotgun. Good hunting to all

Meules37

Re: Count Down to Opening Day

Postby Meules37 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:20 am

I'll be heading up to Oneida county and I can't wait. Is it Friday yet? Gun is sighted in, new base layers bought, packing and food buying has begun. I got my only two deer (both 8-points) in '09 and '11, so this is my year. Adding one guy to our hunting group this year, which will make it 6 of us. Weather forecast looks great, upper 20's with no precipitation, sure glad the opener wasnt this weekend. 6 days away!!!!

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 am

We too are excited to be shooting rifles, instead of punkin ball launchers. I have three sighted in, with
new Barnes TTSX bullet topped handloads. I have two bolt guns, for the long range shooting off
some of the elevated box blinds, and my BAR draws the box blinds in the swamp missions. :D

Yes, the Deer Camp boys are getting restless. We will assemble Friday night, amid deer stories,
neighbor visits, and excited expectations of opening day. Cell phones have kind of taken the
energy out of the evening after the hunt meeting, because if anything happens, the calls and texts
start to fly. But I can live with the advance of technology...And there is a "Off" switch on all of that
technology.

The outlook for us, is few larger bucks, but an over abundance of antlerless deer. When
you see 20-30 deer running off the alfalfa field, when one crests the hill overlooking the
little cabin valley, one knows we have too many anterless deer. Freezers will be filled.

Best of luck to all, and please observe firearms and tree stand safety rules.

Deerbeans

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm not looking forward to it this year.

Been bow hunting hard, have 2 bucks that aren't quite shooters and would love to see them make it the year to put their genes in the pool some more.

Numbers are way down from both the places I've registered deer in the past in Waupaca County.

Last year I had 5 bucks over 130" including 2 well over 160" on camera and saw most of them on the bow stand including the 129 7/8ths net that I did end up shooting. This year I've got one pushing the 130" mark that is 3 years younger than his father I shot last year. Late spring hurt us bad, my only hope is that corn stays on the fields so some 2.5 and 1.5s aren't shot just to shoot just because people want to shoot a buck. Be selective in what you shoot this year...because the following 2 years will be bad if you settle this year (in Herd Reduction Zones). Manage your property how you want, but don't complain when you don't see much this year.

I plan to do a bunch of doe killing to keep my herd in check...but I assume of the 20 1.5s and 2.5s (absolutely nothing of size) I let walk this year bow hunting, if half or a quarter make it, it'll be nice for everyone around me next year...we shall see...
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:51 am

Gafrage wrote:I'm not looking forward to it this year.

Been bow hunting hard, have 2 bucks that aren't quite shooters and would love to see them make it the year to put their genes in the pool some more.

Same here. Cant wait for the gun season to be over. So glad it opens late so the rut is passed. That will save a lot of deer. We have been up at deer camp every weekend for the last month and deer hunted every day for the past week. This orange deer camp does not have the same shine or draw or excitement as the camo deer camps.

Our group enjoys the opening day that takes place in Sept. far more than this 2nd opening day. After hitting the woods hard for the last week+, Its hard to get excited for 2nd opening day with guns. Its still ok and all but would rather the gun opener take place in Dec.

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 am

wilmer thrun wrote:Same here. Cant wait for the gun season to be over. So glad it opens late so the rut is passed. That will save a lot of deer. We have been up at deer camp every weekend for the last month and deer hunted every day for the past week. This orange deer camp does not have the same shine or draw or excitement as the camo deer camps.

Our group enjoys the opening day that takes place in Sept. far more than this 2nd opening day. After hitting the woods hard for the last week+, Its hard to get excited for 2nd opening day with guns. Its still ok and all but would rather the gun opener take place in Dec.

I wish Gun Opener was the first weekend in November. Why should the sharp stick shooters always get the rut. I am so tired of
the bow hunters I know telling me about how wonderful it is to be a bow hunter one day, and then tell me pitiful stories of how some
tough circumstances had them wounding a nice buck, that goes lost. Not to say it doesn't happen with a firearm, but it seems a more
common story with the sharp stick shooters. If I wasn't duck hunting hard the first weekend of November, I would get serious about
working on a CC Resolution to move Firearms season to an earlier date, just to hear the bow hunting snobs howl. :twisted:

Deerbeans

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:58 am

A CC resolution to move the gun deer opener back to the end of Nov. Great idea! Thanks for the tip I will get to work on that for next spring. Iowa has a Dec. gun season opener. That would be outstanding. 8-)

Next year bowhunters wont have to vacate the woods on the Friday prior to the gun opener. Thats another great improvement and adds another day of rut bowhunting before the gun hunters blast away and wound a bunch of deer. Its sad seeing all the shot off legs and hanging shot off jaws and finding all the dead deer gun hunters wounded and left for dead when Im bowhunting the late season. Gun hunters do a great deal of good feeding the wolf and coyote population with all the deer they leave dead in the woods unrecovered.
Last edited by wilmer thrun on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal

Postby Animal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:59 am

I am one of the "sharp stick shooters" who is immensely glad that the gun season doesn't open until the rut is over. I have hunted hard the last couple weeks and have let some up-and-coming bucks walk. I would hate for my sacrifice to become some less-patient hunter's kill. I DO hope that the gun hunters shoot a bunch of does; we have waaay too many around here.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 am

Boy some of you guys must be a blast to be around this coming weekend. If you don't like the gun deer season, take the week off and head somewhere with your families that you've barely seen since September.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 am

We have an outstanding hunting camp and will be there again this weekend just like we have all been for the last several weekends at deer camp. We only change to a much less challenging weapon so the level of satisfaction is just not there. It’s a slaughter or freezer filing activity rather than the quiet and enjoyable bow hunt. Still fun but no where near as fun and challenging and enjoyable as bowhunting. Still fun just not as fun as good ole bowhunting. Sure we could keep hunting with our bows but the gun hunters would likely stumble across the kill prior to us tracking it and they would tag it as their own. Another reason to be in the woods is to keep the tresspassing gun hunters off the land so they dont steal stuff.

Next

Return to Wisconsin