Another big drop in the prelim kill number

wilmer thrun

Another big drop in the prelim kill number

Postby wilmer thrun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Orange army Buck kill down 25%, Antlerless kill down 9%.

Great news for bowhunters unless you understand this to mean the deer population is just not where the DNR estimates it to be.

go to your county meetings next year and demand few if any antlerless tags in your unit so we can rebuild the deer population and improve the bowhunting statewide.

MZS

Re: Another big drop in the prelim kill number

Postby MZS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:46 am

A lot of this is weather - it was about as lousy of hunting weather as you could get. Winds gusting and opening morning chill factors as low as -15F. Also, there was a MN-WI Packers game that went from 12-4 Sunday - as silly as this sounds, this took some more hunters out of the woods on half of one opening weekend day. And lastly, there are a lot fewer deer than ever, at least up by us. At any rate, I very much agree that way too many tags are given out, at least up north anyway.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 am

I think the numbers will be down, but comparing it to last years numbers is apples to oranges for a number of reason. Last year's opening weekend was VERY warm, meaning people had to register their deer within hours of shooting it, this year is the complete opposite, so there could be a lot of deer that are still hanging and haven't been registered because people haven't headed home from their weekend trip. That said, I drove back (3.5 hours) yesterday afternoon and only saw three deer being driven home. I usually, at least 20 on my drive home. Hunting was rough this weekend, they're out there, just moving a lot at night. Every morning I'd sit in my stand for the first hour, see nothing, then start walking and still hunting. Each morning I'd see a ton of new sign and tracks, but nothing moving during the day. I believe the wind, temp, and late season will all have effects on the total kill numbers.

MZS

Postby MZS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Just checked with a guy that has hundreds of acres of prime deer land. He has seen fewer deer than ever. His brother even hunted 4 days by him without seeing a deer. We had a very harsh winter, with heavy snows in April (2 ft in mid-April) and then woodticks in numbers never seen before. Then black bears in crazy high numbers. My friend believes the wolves and bears were knocking off the weakened deer and consuming them. This northern Zone 2 area is a train wreck right now and the DNR is making it worse with all the tags.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:22 am

Regardless, this years gun deer season is great for next year's bowhunting. I like the idea of a late gunn opener every year.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:26 am

We had one of the best gun hunts we ever had. Poor acorn year coupled with awesome food plots made the year for us. Green fields, corn and soybeans were key this year. 2013 gun season was all about food

We averaged about 25 deer seen each day/hunter and one buck for every four does

willypete

Postby willypete » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:54 pm

I think this spring had something to do with deer kill numbers. Had a lot of older deer not make it by me. However a boatload of fawns made it which if its like that in other places that may be another hidden reason as a lot of people are going after bigger deer.

I didn't have a problem finding bucks though. Took 3 in my group which is better than most years.

Also offering less tags makes little sense to me. How many units honestly sell out of tags? Does anyone know where that info can be found? Mine never gets close so all you are doing it not offering tags that wouldn't have been purchased anyway.(and my unit has a lot of deer around)

But I won't have the opportunity to hunt in the coming years so there is a few more deer for you bow hunters. Your selfishness is quite sad for the sport...glad I won't have to deal with it that's for sure. People just get way into it these days. Bow AND gun hunters alike have made it hard to enjoy sometimes. Hopefully someday I will find a patch of woods with no idiots to bother me. Until then good luck everyone

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:05 pm

bullwinkle wrote:We had one of the best gun hunts we ever had. Poor acorn year coupled with awesome food plots made the year for us. Green fields, corn and soybeans were key this year. 2013 gun season was all about food

We averaged about 25 deer seen each day/hunter and one buck for every four does

Those are some pretty good numbers seen. Where are you located? I am guessing west central as that is where a lot of soybeans are grown. Just goes to show that you can not generalize about deer populations in the state. I think the DNR does not do enough local sampling. Since the zone right next to us has no bonus tags, hunters are flocking to our zone with their tags - this is part of the reason we have so few deer, combined with winter severity and other factors. But bonus tags don't do you much good if there is not even a single deer to shoot.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 pm

So far we've taken 4 does off the property I hunt (2 bow and 2 gun), saw several bucks but nothing worthy of being shot, only 1 antlered deer during gun season, but that pretty much has to do with the neighbors shooting fawns at 3:15-3:30, then complain about not seeing mature deer. Let the buck I saw twice (opening morning 4 minutes before legal shooting light, and then yesterday 4 minutes before legal shooting light even though my neighbors shot at him 8 minutes before legal shooting light) walk to safety.

Trying to get the ratio close to 1-1 around me, but the neighbors keep shooting buck fawns, so I keep shooting does to help with that.

Exactly what I expected with the gun season after viewing my herd throughout bow season, few sightings but I'm OK with that...the mature bucks around me have a pretty huge sanctuary to the east, and that only lets them age some.

Hopefully with less mouths to feed the herd will be a little healthier next year and some of the bucks that made it will have a little less stress on them.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:12 am

Looks like the bowhunting will be better next year since so many bucks didnt fall to the orange army. :D

Return to Wisconsin