Will deer slaughter continue?

Luv2Hunt

Will deer slaughter continue?

Postby Luv2Hunt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:19 am

ImagePosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Will herd slaughter continue?
Image Image Image

[hr]

I must certainly be missing something!!!!

This past Spring many of us traveled to the State Capital to voice our concrens regarding the continued slaughter of our deer herd.

We were told there would be a committee formed to examine the methods currently being used to estimate the herd population, as many have expressed grave concerns. Herd estimates would be revised, using recommendations from this committee.

We were told "Earn a buck" would be discontinued, excepting in CWD zones.

To date, I have seen no published information regarding the committe formed to study the population issues,,,,but today,,,, I read that a new committee called the "Special Advisory Study Committee for EAB Alternativies has been formed.

This Special Committee, put together by the NRB and being comprised of Mark Toso, Wisconsin Deer Hunters Association; Greg Kazmeirski, Hunters Rights Coalition; Barry Meyers, Quality Deer Management Association; Mike Spors, Whitetails Unlimited; Mike Peterson, County Forest Association; Merlin Becker, Wisconsin Woodland Owners Association; Ron Kulas, Wisconsin Bowhunters Association; Mark Noll, Conservation Congress; and Ralph Fritsch, Wisconsin Wildlife Federation.

The apparent goal of this Committee is to hurriedly devise a plan for substitution of the EAB program, for the continued reduction of our deer herd.

Unless or until the population estimates are corrected, why has this special committee been formed, unless it's business as usual for the NRB and the DNR.

Is this how the DNR "listens" to the public.

Has the secret committee charged with population estimates completed their evaluations?

In my humble opinion this end run game is disgraceful and should be addressed by every hunter or supporter of wildlife in the State.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Additional information on this new committee is available at
www.wiherdcontrol.org

Goose

RE: Will deer slaughter continue?

Postby Goose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Some of those guys in that committee are the ones that were in Madison earlier in the year.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I may be wrong here but I heard originally that EAB was gone for good then I started hearing that is only gone for a year. Which tells me the DNR was just blowing smoke at us hunters again. A one year suspension of EAB is not the answer....

I believe they are completly wrong in there numbers on our deer herd and it is going to be up to us hunters to make the difference.. Just because they give you three tags doesnt mean you have to fill all three tags, Only take what you need.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:57 pm

I never heard that EAB would be gone forever. It was always that it would just be discontinued for next year. But I guess it doesn't really matter for me because I live in the CWD Zone and of course we have EAB.
Kyle

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:35 am

I had heard that EAB was going to be gone for a year and then they were going to look at the population to see what it was at.  I believe they said that if the population went up they would bring EAB back.  The DNR IMO did this to make them look good because it look's like they listened to the hunters when they knew very well hunters would pass on does in there area to rebuild the population and then boom they bring back EAB and we are back to the beginning in this whole mess. 

Also I believe Matt Frank stated he wanted the population to be around 700,000 deer before the harvest which I tell him good luck with that because it isn't going to happen with the hunters we have here in Wisconsin.  
Scott

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:50 am

[font=arial]Actually, He wants the population to be 740,000 AFTER the hunting season is over. It called the over winter goal. I sit on the EAB alternative committee. We meet again this weekend to come up with a plan. Nobody asked for this committee to be formed. The NRB created this committee but did not invite the hunting groups that will be asked to carry out this new plan. EAB by any other name will still be rejected.[/font][/align]

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:14 am

Ok thanks retch I had it wrong.
Scott

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 am

I haven't seen anything either on this.  But, I did hear like most of us here have, that it would be gone for next year...But still no published info on it.  Thought they would post something on the DNR site.  Hm.
QDM!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 am

I used to live just south of Waupaca. In the 70's and 80's we would often see 200 deer during a 15 mile drive. I left Wisconsin in 1986. Last wednesday, I drove from my home in Indiana up to Waupaca and then on to Iola. We left Iola about midnight and went back to Waupaca. On thursday, we drove back home to Indiana. Total deer sightings were one live doe just outside of Scandinavia, and one road kill just outside of Weyauwega. Add to that one bloody smear on highway 10 near Fremont and that's all we saw in two days. Either Wisconsin does a hell of a job picking up roadkill or deer numbers are way down. Sad for an old Waupaca boy to see. I wish you all luck bringing the herd back.

Return to Wisconsin