When you really think about it

retch sweeny

When you really think about it

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:17 pm

The crossbow federation says that because a crossbow has two limbs, a string and launches a fletched shaft that it is the same as a bow and that is should be allowed to participate equally with bows during Bowhunting seasons.

We all know this is a bow.

And we know this is a bow.

Both have to be drawn and held by the muscle power of the archer at the time of the shot and in the presence of game. Those two attributes make archery and Bowhunting what it is.

A the same time, we all recognize this as a gun. We can clearly see that this is not a bow. In fact, it's an AR-15 assault rifle.

So modifying the other end of this gun with this.

So that you have this.

does not make it a bow any more than adding an outboard motor to the other end would make it a boat or adding a spinning blade would make it a lawn mower............

It's a modified gun and as such, has no place in an archery season.

The crossbow lobby insists that it belongs in the woods with bows and bowhunters and as ridicules as that sounds, they did not stop there, Today they demanded that .50 ca. Machine guns be allowed to participate in trap and skeet events because both have a barrel and use gunpowder to fire a projectile.

They then demanded that Motorcycles be allowed to compete in the Tour De France bicycle race since both have two wheels, a seat, handlebars and carry a rider.

They insist that Jet skis must be allowed to participate equally with canoes since they both have a hull, seats and both are a watercraft that carries people.

They demand that chainsaws be allowed to participate in lumberjack competitions against buck-saws since both, Have a handle, a blade with teeth and are for cutting wood.

And that F-16 jets be allowed to participate equally in Ultra light plane events since both have an engine, wings, c0ckpit and can fly.

If the Crossbow Federation thinks a crossbow belongs in the same season as bow, then it's understandable that all these other comparisons make sense and that allowing advanced devices to participate equally with their lesser counterparts should be acceptable since they say they are practically the same anyway. They claim that user groups are just being elite and selfish by not allowing similar devices to share equally and participate with lesser equipment but we know better and so do they.

The PSE TAC-15 crossbow pictured above is married to an AR-15 Assault rifle and is for sale right now but crossbow makers are still in the infancy of crossbow design. The bow/gun hybrid of today will only get more sophisticated, powerful and advanced meaning that allowing the crossbow of today into the archery season is also allowing the gun/bow hybrids of the future into the archery season but by then, it will be too late to take these weapons out.

willseyville

RE: When you really think about it

Postby willseyville » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 am

i really do'nt feel ether way on crossbows yet cause here in n.y they're still illegle. retch i do'nt now how old you are but i still remember when old time archers here did all they could to stop the use of compound bow form being used for the same kind of reasons[:)] wayne

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 am

I'll bet that when compound bow technology gets to the point of infinite or near infinite let-off, (and, it will) things will get real quiet in vertical bow land.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:48 am

You have valid points and I like how you illistrate them in your post.. they are legal with a medical waiver here in Wisconsin and the more I think about it I like it that way. I personally dont think that is going to change, here in Wisconsin either.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 am

A crossbow is still a bow, it shoots an arrow via a string. There is no gun powder to propel the arrow so comparing it to a gun is ridiculous. Your other comparisons make no sense either, they compare most things with a gas engine against something without an engine. The same principal cannot be used when comparing a crossbow and a gun. A gun uses gun powder to shoot a bullet out like a rocket while a crossbow shoots an arrow with a string. Wow it amazes me what the anti-crossbow people will do to try and keep the crossbow out of the archery season. Wow!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:50 am

Forget it. Crossbow bigots already have their minds made up. Don't try to confuse them with facts. It only upsets them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:33 am

WW now comon you cant be calling people bigots just because they dont agree with you. People are intitled to their own opinions, thats the beauty of this country.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 am

"Both have to be drawn and held by the muscle power of the archer at the time of the shot and in the presence of game. Those two attributes make archery and Bowhunting what it is. "

What about a draw lock?
http://bowdrawlock.com/

video of it
http://bowdrawlock.com/Lock-a-Draw/Lock-a-Draw.html
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:57 am

Draw locks in wisconsin when used are considered crossbows...

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

WW now comon you cant be calling people bigots just because they dont agree with you. People are intitled to their own opinions, thats the beauty of this country.

It's one thing to have an opinion but this post falsely claims a crossbow is like a gun. Just because it has a locking mechanism doesn't make it a gun. A gun is an instrument that uses firepower to propel a bullet where a bow is an instrument that uses a string to propel an arrow, those are the facts.

Someone who continues to overlook these facts is falsely representing the comparions of a gun to a crossbow thus that can be construed as a bigot which by definition is used to describe a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices, especially when these views are either challenged, or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable.

Next

Return to Wisconsin