When you really think about it

Woods Walker

RE: When you really think about it

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:13 am

Dodge and weave? YOU'RE the one who evaded the question! You slay me retch! [:D]

But thanks  for those links retch. I wanted to ask you that when I saw the photo, but that wasn't the right time!

Maybe one day I'll attempt to build a bow. Having one with a history like yours does would be awesome. First I've got to master arrows!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:14 am

69 viking, [font=arial]Yes, they sell the gun/bow hybrids in the archery section............... Where else are the elderly and infirmed to go to buy them????[/font]

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking
...my crossbow takes 175 pounds and two hands and a foot to draw back. So what if it locks back, that is not much different than a compound bow with 80% let off...

...I think what you see is that sooner or later the crossbow manufacturers will win out and crossbows will be allowed during archery season, it's just another form of archery equipment. Don't believe me? Check out what's for sale at places like Basspro - 26 Recurves & Longbows for sale, 30 Compound bows for sale, and 41 Crossbows for sale, it's only a matter of time. Companies wouldn't be making all these crossbows if they weren't selling and if they didn't think the crossbow would eventually make into the archery season....

69Viking, I'd like to address a couple of your posts if I may.

The CB my wife has requires 150 lbs. of draw weight in order to cock. This is actually so much weight that she would risk further injury if she were to do so herself, therfore I cock it for her before we part ways and head to the stand. It bothers her that this is necessary and it takes away some of the experience for her, but her health must come first. She would be the first to admit that this is miles away from operating a compound bow at the moment of truth.

Secondly, what you say about the CB industry driving the advancement of CBs in archery hunts is not what I consider to be a compelling argument in your favor. They are in the game to make money first, not to advance the well being of hunting and conservation. We as hunters and conservationists should govern what is best and force the industry to respond to our needs.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 am

all this talk about how hard it is to cock the crossgun begs the question if its so hard wheres the benifit to the hanicaped? why not not just draw back a 35lb bow?also if you need someone else to cock it for you how exactly are you going to get a follow up shot?I think a compound set at 35 lb draw weight and 80% let off would be the better choice for someone whose disabled
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 am

Good point. And with the KE that a compound has over a stickbow, 35# with a shot at reasonable ranges should be plenty to kill a deer sized animal with. Trouble is, I know some folks who have bad shoulders and have to use a crossbow, and they can't even draw a 35# bow without pain. I wonder how they do draw the crossbow?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:03 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

all this talk about how hard it is to cock the crossgun begs the question if its so hard wheres the benifit to the hanicaped? why not not just draw back a 35lb bow?also if you need someone else to cock it for you how exactly are you going to get a follow up shot?I think a compound set at 35 lb draw weight and 80% let off would be the better choice for someone whose disabled

I knew that one was coming. Right on time!

There are injuries that make it impossible or even dangerous to draw a bow in the traditional way but pose no threat when using the legs and arms in to cock a CB (i.e. rotator cuff). It just so happens that the deficit that makes my wife unable to draw a bow also makes it dangerous to pull a crossbow.

They do make devices that make cocking a CB easy. Since my wife hunts about 2-3 days a year at the most, and never much more than 100 yards from my stand, one of those devices would be a rather silly expense.

Finally, the idea of a second shot with a vert. bow or CB is a very long shot at best. I never hunt banking on a second shot, whether using a bow, muzzleloader, or bolt action rifle.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Retch..just to add my two cents..do you understand the effective killing range of a crossbow vs a compound bow..???

they are the same ....just in case you are not aware...how is that like a gun...

no their is an advantage to a crossbow...you don't have to put it back ..but it also allows older hunters to enjoy bow season... which the more hunters the better...

also crossbows are cumbersome and hard to use in a tree stand and usually need some sort of rest, they lack mobility ..unlike your compound bow...or string and stick recurve...

but by no means is it a gun...that is like comparing  a go-cart to an indy car.... and a very very very far reach..it is some what of an anti-hunter tactic...and reaching for straws...

Previous

Return to Wisconsin