Disapearing Deer

relentless_hunter_12

Disapearing Deer

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 am

I live a little more than a mile out of a small town and have alot of woods around my area. The woods in my backyard has been home to alot of unseen wildlife, until recently that is, we have had alot of deer lately. This happens every year. The deer come in late spring early summer and we see them alot in day light,or in the feilds below my house at night. Then come November the deer start to literally disapear, only a few tracks now and then  down in the fields, but then during hunting season theres no tracks at all. The only exception was a frantic doe that ran through my backyard and nearly calasped of exsautsion. This happened after id come home from hunting, and I didnt think it would be good sport to go shoot the doe. What do you think about the disapearing deer? What would keep them by my house?
"Hunting is not just a hobby, It's a lifestyle"

Goose

RE: Disapearing Deer

Postby Goose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Deer go through several changes and moving their home range from the summer to the fall is one of them that make a lot of people wonder where all the deer went.
There are several reasons for this including-feed changes(acorns start falling and crops are harvested), cover changes(leaf drop), and hormones change(bachelor groups break up), among other changes.

To keep them around your area they will need all of the basics....Cover,food, and water.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Well I know that, but I have all that, and so does the neighbors farm, so how far do hey go then? over a few miles?

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Well I hunt at my grandfathers not but 3 miles from my house and he has tons of deer that never leave, so what gives?

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Some deer will bed down due to pressure and hardly move at all..There's a good chance a lot of those deer are still there.Try some deer drives. If that does not work keep hunting..Ones bound to come through with the rut in swing.. I also agree with what goose has to say..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:55 am

ORIGINAL: relentless_hunter_12

Well I know that, but I have all that, and so does the neighbors farm, so how far do hey go then? over a few miles?

All depends on the food sources and the hunting pressure.  On one of our properties, you'll be hard pressed to see even one deer track in the snow in the winter.  They all up and leave.  We're working on changing that now though with some winter food plots, better cover, etc.  They can travel miles though if needed.
QDM!

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 am

Well, I dont have that great of an area 2 plant food plots, so Im just not sure...

Return to Wisconsin