More Great News!!

retch sweeny

More Great News!!

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Things are happening fast. I meant to post this letter last night but ran out of time so here goes.

As a result of the hearings held by Rep. Hraychuck and Senator Holperin, The letter attached was sent to DNR Secretary Matt Frank prior to the Natural Resources Board hearing today (Wednesday April 22 ).

I am pleased about the wording in this letter. It's clear that the testimony of those involved had an impact on legislators. While no one group is named specifically (short of the mention of organized sporting groups) it's clear that the hunting groups that took the time to show up and testify were well received and our message was loud and clear. A word of thanks to the Bear and Turkey hunter groups, the Hunter's Rights Coalition, Wisconsin Hunters United, Hunters Alliance for Regulatory Communications as well as other groups for standing together for deer hunters (both bow and gun). Most importantly, special thanks should be extended to both Rep. Hraychuck and Senator Holperin for conducting these hearings that addressed the concerns of deer hunters.

The wording in the letter below says it well. "EAB should be suspended indefinitely."

The process of correcting this situation has begun and hopefully the above mentioned groups will be asked to have a role in improvements that will hopefully be made to population estimates in whatever capacity we are able. Other states like Iowa use Bowhunter field observation surveys as a way of monitoring population trends. Due to the extended period of time bowhunters are in the woods, these groups would do well to implement a voluntary field observer program to assist the Dept. in monitoring local deer populations. These groups might also consider volunteering for the independent deer counts mentioned in the attached letter or making a donation to an independent group that performs such a task. Assisting the Dept. in obtaining accurate deer population estimates is something in which we should all have an interest.

Thanks to all that attended.

retch sweeny

RE: More Great News!!

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Update #1

The Natural Resourses Board today voted to suspend EAB indefinetly. The Natural Resources Board initially approved a one-year moratorium Wednesday, but then board member Jane Wiley introduced a resolution to go further.

Jane Wiley attended the hearing in Madison. It was expected that some form of study group to look at over winter goals, SAK etc. would be formed. Kudos to the NRB for taking action.

She says hunters are so upset over the program it would be only a matter of time until state lawmakers stepped in and began managing deer hunting with legislation. She says the board needs to send the Legislature a strong message that it is serious about halting the program.

Update #2

MADISON – The Wisconsin Natural Resources Board (the Board) today adopted the Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) recommended fall season structure for the 2009 deer hunt, which includes no Earn-a-Buck units outside of the CWD management zone and 40 fewer deer management units with the October antlerless hunt. Overall, the number of units set to have a regular deer season has increased by 180 percent from 2008. Earn-a-Buck will continue within the CWD management zone during the 2009 season.

The Board also passed a resolution indefinitely suspending Earn-a-Buck and directing the DNR to begin a new process to develop effective, hunter supported alternatives to the program. Units within the CWD zone, where disease management efforts are ongoing, will continue to have Earn-a-Buck until those herds are at goal or effective alternative management strategies are developed. The Board also reaffirmed the importance of achieving a good balance to support Wisconsin's strong deer hunting tradition and a quality hunt while maintaining a healthy, sustainable deer herd and protecting agriculture, forestry and ecosystems.

DNR Secretary Matt Frank issued the following statement about the action of the Natural Resources Board:

"DNR and the Natural Resources Board hear hunter concerns regarding the 2008 fall deer hunt, DNR deer population estimates, state deer population goals, and Earn-a-Buck regulations. We are not only listening, we are taking action by indefinitely suspending Earn-a-Buck. Concerns have been raised in extensive hearings conducted by the DNR and the legislature throughout the state, as well as by the Conservation Congress and numerous conservation organizations. While we should not underestimate the challenge we face in developing effective alternatives to Earn-a-Buck that will control the deer population where it is over goal, the DNR is strongly committed to working with hunters, landowners and the public to do just that."

"Beyond finding an alternative to Earn-A-Buck, we will be taking important additional action over the next year. We will review and revise the state's deer population goals covering the next three years. Strong public input will be critical to that process. We will also review and make necessary improvements to our system for estimating the deer population, including how we measure the impact of winter severity, natural predators, and other factors."

"We look forward to working with the Natural Resources Board, the Legislature, the Conservation Congress, hunters, landowners, conservation organizations on these important issues."

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Retch, Thanks for the post! I also want to say that I enjoyed your testimony.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

Postby wack » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks for the good news. This is a great victory for deer hunters in Wisconsin. What has been done, is prove that standing together we are strong. There is much more work to be done. We saved most of the state from EAB. Hopefully we got the changes we needed for SAK to work better, and we have them looking at the goal number.

Some of the brightest hunting minds in Wisconsin are members of this forum. I'm still not good at what faces from the hearing go to what names here, but I know you are here.  Retch, Fish, Mntmn, Landowner, Goose and the gang, Great job.

Now on with business. I too have brought good news to the forum under the BREAKING NEWS forum, Live CWD test. http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=34757 . Please read the post. I didn't post it here in Wisconsin forum as it isn't a Wisconsin story.....Yet.

I have written to the DNR, sent a copy to as many DNR biologists as I could find with current links off the DNR website. Many were returned undeliverable. Computer skills isn't in my resume'. lol This is a very big tool that we can use to save our CWD Zone and save and improve our elk herd Wisconsin needs to be a part of this research ASAP.

My question to you, how do we do that? How do we use a live CWD test for deer and elk to save the CWD zone? To save our elk herd and get the Black River Falls herd going. Put  your minds to the questions, enjoy our victory here and brainstorm this new topic in Breaking News.

Great job everyone. Image Image
American by birth, hunter by choice.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Well it's back to EAB for me and over harvesting of does for the CWD zone.  
Scott

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:23 pm

ORIGINAL: gunther89

Well it's back to EAB for me and over harvesting of does for the CWD zone.  

Sorry to hear that gunther89...But just remember, even though they give out tags like candy you hold the truth in your hands on whether or not you shoot the deer, and you can pass this education along to your friends and family too!  Hopefully this will be taken care of soon in your area...
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks for the update Retch!  This is a start...
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Thank you Retch! And congratulations to you and everyone else involved in this fight. Your dedication and hard work paid off for most of us (sorry Gunther [&o]). Well done!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:42 am

Yeah I know I will only shoot 2 does at the most in 1 season.  My neighbors it won't matter how much you tell them.  I have amish on one side who will take out as many deer as they can and then I have guys who are all above 45 years old who don't care and want to fill the freezer.  They don't get that the herd is decreasing all they care about is filling there freezer. 

Congrats to everyone who this will benefit.
Scott

wack

Postby wack » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:17 am

Gunther don't give up. There is hope on the horizon. Let the DNR know that there is new CWD research, a new live CWD test, and that they should take full advantage of this research. Keep pushing, prove EAB is illegal. The DNR say's they are listening, speak up. You are not alone, we won't leave you behind but you are now on the front lines of the battlefield. Pick up the ball and run. Take up our weapons and fight. The lawyers who testified gives you the weapon of State Law, a live CWD test gives you a weapon of science, choose your weapon, make a difference.   
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Wisconsin