Bait and switch

Luv2Hunt

Bait and switch

Postby Luv2Hunt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:21 am

Plain and simple……….the DNR has no idea of the deer herd population.

Had they followed the SAK model program, a more accurate count could be forecast. However, by using POST HUNT versus PRE HUNT calculations, throwing in EAB, T Zones, and a multitude of other special programs into the mix, no one can possibly expect anything except what we now have……a devastated deer herd.

Unless or until everyone understands this, the DNR will continue to inject programs into the SAK model program for the express purpose of securing the financial interest of the State.
Con artist call this a bait and switch scam.

All these individual efforts targeted at certain programs are a fruitless effort.

Unless and until the DNR reverts back to the original SAK model program, only then will we have any concept of how bad things really are.

We need to concentrate on this fact, and in a few years we may again have a thriving deer herd we can all enjoy.

stumpsitter66

RE: Bait and switch

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:56 am

m

Luv2Hunt

Postby Luv2Hunt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 pm

[font="times new roman"]As further support of my statement …..the DNR has no idea of the deer herd population[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]A quote from the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, Chairman, Mr. Ed Harvey;[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]"We clearly need to do something. There is no way of knowing which units are over goal or under goal"[/font]

wack

Postby wack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 pm

Deer/car crash data. Some states us nothing but deer car crash data, other states use this data to double check other data. You are correct in saying SAK does not work with EAB and T zone/ herd control hunts. These hunts actually gave an opposite answer to reality, making the herd estimate numbers go up instead of down. Mix in the predation numbers of 40,000 bears instead of 13,000 bears and some areas there maybe no deer left while the SAK estimates 36% above goal. Errors in deer mortality rates, over winter kill and even hunters cheating the EAB system have all played parts in the deer population colapse.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:39 am

ORIGINAL: wack

Deer/car crash data. Some states us nothing but deer car crash data, other states use this data to double check other data. You are correct in saying SAK does not work with EAB and T zone/ herd control hunts. These hunts actually gave an opposite answer to reality, making the herd estimate numbers go up instead of down. Mix in the predation numbers of 40,000 bears instead of 13,000 bears and some areas there maybe no deer left while the SAK estimates 36% above goal. Errors in deer mortality rates, over winter kill and even hunters cheating the EAB system have all played parts in the deer population colapse.

Exactly....We have been pushing these points over the years. We are at a point of collapse in the far NE DMU's at this point. What was a 5-8 DPSM pre-hunt. is now 2-3. Not a huntable population now or for any seasons in the near future. Bear populations must be reduced here now....you cannot address one species based on hunt, if you do not address the explosion of predators that feed on the species you are trying to manage, do not take into account their true kill on that species.
(Florence Co., WI)

wack

Postby wack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:06 am

So what is the next step? What's WHU's next step? Who do we call now? What's the correct avenue to get EAB outlawed? A lot was mentioned about Deer 2000, the $1.2 million spent on research that was ignored. 2004 didn't seem to sink in, how do we do a better job this time around? Stay tuned, this is like the best soap opera ever. lol Will heads roll? Things change? Tea Parties and mad hunters, what next?

Fish

Postby Fish » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:04 am

Wack, right now we are doing a bit of "wait and see".  Over the weekend, a wrench was tossed into the whole thing.  The only thing I can tell you is we must continue to rally together and become one unified group.  As I said previously, hunters must support each other.  Never been more important to join groups like the bear hunters, bow hunters, and turkey hunter asso.  WHU will need to get organized in the next few months but the time is now for change in EAB and T-zone.

I'll know more in the next day or so.

wack

Postby wack » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:44 am

I hate wrenches! The last time I threw A wrench, it bounced off the ground and broke my windshield.[:(] lol 

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 am

Fish, Is there some informational website or someplace we can go to track the progress of this without having to wait for you to inform us of what's going on?

BTW, good testimony at the hearing!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:54 am

DoeEyed, no website.  I'd love to be able to explain much more but it is a political process, something I'm learning on the run.

TY for the compliment but I hate speaking in public.  I sound like a dork.  I was not originally supposed to give the testimony.  I wrote it for someone else who cancelled at the last minute so I was forced to.  And then, to make matters worse, the HRC took 1/3 of what I was going to talk about so had to ad lib a bit. 

Return to Wisconsin